KINCAID-L Archives

Archiver > KINCAID > 2002-08 > 1028833750

From: "" <>
Subject: RE: [KINCAID] George Gibson and William Linn - Great Story!
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:09:17 -0400

Great work, Barb! but alas the Linns as are confusing as the Kincaids and I
am certainly not a Linn expert.

I believe that the Lt./Col. William Linn that you have here is Rev. John
Linn's son, William or yet another Linn. Let's hear from those Wm.
Linn/Agnes Kincaid descendants, Mary Lu Keef are you still with us????

Interesting that these people are "Augusta Co."???? When during the 1774
time period they would be Cumberland Co., PA families????

Original Message:
From: Barbara Van Hout
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:54:18 -0500
Subject: [KINCAID] George Gibson and William Linn - Great Story!

I think that you are right! You wrote, "It's a long shot, but this Agnes
Kinkead would be about the right age to be the Agnes "Nancy" Kinkead who
married William Linn in Rev. John Linn's Centre Presbyterian Congregation.
This William Linn was Rev. John Linn's nephew."

The following is a great story of the bravery and resourcefulness of the
Scotch-Irish pioneers in Western Augusta County. I get the feeling that
they almost enjoyed the challenges of travelling and conquering the back
country and rivers, and of course, the Indians.

>From the book, "The First Virginia Regiment of Foot, 1775-1783," by M. Lee
Minnis, Willow Bend Books, 1998. Here is some background on George Gibson
and William Linn.

p. 243: GIBSON, GEORGE, Captain
"George was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in October 1747, and was
reared on the frontier. Before the revolution, he operated a trading post
at Fort Pitt in partnership with his brother John. He was lieutenant
under Capt. Robert Thompson on 16 March 1774 in the Augusta County Militia
and was in Lord Dunmore's War."

This is confirmed on p. 178, vol. I of "Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish" :
March 16, 1774 (319) George Gibson qualified Lieut. in Capt. Robert
Thompson's Company. William Findley, same, as Ensign in same.

Shortly afterwards, at the beginning of the Revolutionary War:

p. 143, 144: "George Gibson formed his company from back-country militia
in West Augusta His first lieutenant was William Lynn. The unit arrived
at Williamsburg in the latter part of December 1775 and were the 8th
Company..Gibson was with the company until May 1777 when he was promoted to
major with a date of rank of 4 January 1777."

The settlers in Western Pennsylvania had a desperate need for gunpowder in
1776 to protect themselves from the Indians. All gunpowder factories were
in the east. From the book "Old Westmoreland" by Edgar W. Hassler, "In
all the region around Fort Pitt, there was no supply to meet the emergency
of an Indian War."..."For a few weeks the frontier was almost helpless, but
at the very verge of the crisis, it was relieved by a daring exploit
accomplished by a band of hardy pioneers, led by Captain George Gibson and
Lieutenant William Lynn."

The story of their travel down the Ohio and Mississippi River to get much
needed supplies of gunpowder from the Spanish controlled area in the south
is told in chapter V--just click on the feather for an index of the

I found this also on the website, Mississippi Highlights in History:

"The first important fruits of this mutual association were realized in
early 1776 when Captain George Gibson and eighteen men came down the
Mississippi from Fort Pitt. Although Governor Unzaga acted with more
caution than would his successors, he nonetheless furnished the American
visitors with approximately 10,000 pounds of gunpowder. In an effort to
disguise the transactions from the British, Gibson voluntarily submitted to
temporary arrest while his chief assistant, Lieutenant William Linn,
returned upstream with most of the powder. He arrived at Fort Pitt with
the supplies just in time to save that post and another at Wheeling from
falling into enemy hands. Shortly thereafter, Gibson left by sea for
Philadelphia where he planned to inform the Congress of his successful

Here is what I found about William Linn at:
LINN, WILLIAM, pioneer, died near Louisville, Kentucky, in March, 1781.
In the winter of 1776-'7, with George Gibson, he undertook a voyage in
barges from Pittsburgh to New Orleans for military supplies. He joined
General George Rogers Clark's forces in 1778, commanding a company, and
participating in the capture of Forts Kaskaskia, Cahokia, and Vincennes.
On the discharge of some enlisted troops, who desired to return, they were
placed in charge of Colonel Linn, whom General Clark instructed to take
command at the Falls of Ohio, and Linn at once began the construction of a
new stockade port on the Kentucky shore at what is now the foot of 12th
street, Louisville. In July, 1780, General Clark led two regiments of
Kentucky volunteers against Chillicothe and Piqua towns, one in command of
Colonel Benjamin Logan, and the other of Colonel Linn. Linn's station was
one of the six or seven on Beargrass creek as early as 1779-'80, and was
about ten miles from Louisville. In !
March, 1781, Colonel Linn and three neighbors and comrades were suddenly
slain there by a raiding band of savages from across the Ohio."

Barb Van Hout

==== KINCAID Mailing List ====
Search the Kincaid list message archive at:

mail2web - Check your email from the web at .

This thread: