KINCAID-L Archives

Archiver > KINCAID > 2004-04 > 1081062046

From: "Don Kincaid" <>
Subject: RE: [KINCAID] Thomas Kincaid & Mary Mackey
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 03:01:23 -0400

Alice,
Just skimmed across the list of the children of Thomas Kincaid b. 1755
and Mary Mackey from your web site. According the this list, they were
dropping children all over the place, including Chambersburg (Margaret,
1785), Alleghaney PA, and eventually Maysville KY across from Adams
County Ohio. Richmond, Franklin PA is located just west of
Chambersburg, PA.
moving further west around Pittsburgh. Mary is born in Allegheny Co, PA
in 1793, then the next year they're down the ol' Ohio river giving birth
to Peninia in 1794 in Maysville, KY. This certainly places him
geographically near the ancestors of other DNA Group C members.

There's a section of the written record left by my uncle, Cecil Kincaid
b. 1900, as told to him by his grandfather, Thomas Wilson Kincaid, b.
1833, that makes no sense to me and is driving me crazy. Yet, I still
have some confidence in his memory of the "big" elements: "Our family,
according to the family Bible records of Grandfather Thomas Wilson, came
from the city of Edinborough to America prior to the Revolutionary War.
The immigrants settled originally in Virginia and varioius members of
the family foughtin the War. . . One Kincaid distinguished himself in
the War of 1812 . . . Later, part of the family moved south into the
Carolinas . . . our branch of the family moved to Ohio, settling near
Youngstown." I'm not sure what "our branch" means exactly. This makes
no sense to me. He knew that his grandfather Thomas Wilson was born in
Adams Co., Ohio. Your (Alice) records show that he bought land there in
Youngsville (Adams Co, OH). So, I just assumed that he mixed up
Youngstown with Youngsville. But now its seems like I have DNA matches
to Youngstown, OH [Is that correct, Group C members?] The problem is
that I just don't think people migrated north from Virginia to northern
Ohio. The direction was south and west. On the other hand,
Martinsburg, West Virginia, is a hop, skip, and jump from Chambersburg,
PA, which we are focusing on, and it's not a stretch to see some
Kincaids moving towards Pittsburgh and then on to Youngstown, OH. But
not my Adams Co. Kincaids. The birth records you show for the children
of Thomas b. 1755 clearly head south towards Adams Co., Ohio, by 1794.
Maybe he just meant that one branch went south to the Carolinas and
another went north to Youngstown "while ours went down the river to
Maysville and Adams County, OH. Now, that would make some sense. I
don't know anyone who descended from this Thomas Kincaid b. 1755 who
could have "settled near Youngstown." Suppose that some/one brother of
Thomas b. 1755 went north to Youngstown, another went south, and he went
to Adams Co. I wouldn't bother worrying about this, but doesn't the DNA
C group have descendents from the Pittsburgh area and from Youngstown,
OH? If this were not the case, I would forget about it. Don
___