KINCAID-L Archives

Archiver > KINCAID > 2006-12 > 1164991794

From: "DonWKincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [KINCAID] Fort Kincaid, Missouri -John, David, & Matthew Kincaid
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:51:16 -0600

Barbara, Here is what Sue wrote in 03 to the list about Fort Kincaid or Kincaid's Fort as some call it:

I looked through what little info I have on Andrew Co. I have part of the
1850 census. There is one Kincaid family in the part I do have. Henry age 51
and Rebecca age 46, both born in KY. Children all born in MO: Mary K. 21;
Betsey E. 17; James 15; Rebecca 13; Ary V 12; Cynthea 7; Robert 4. There may
be other families in the parts of the census I don't have.

I also scanned over some letters written by an early MO Babtist minister.
The Thorp Letters were first published in a Clay Co. MO newspaper and are
now on line. The url I have is
http://www.amug.org/~almoore/thorpletters/thorp7.html They are quite
interesting as he is recounting his memories from early Missouri settlement
at Cooper's Fort to early Clay Co.settlement. In recounting the problems
with indians in 1811 he says:; "The Indians made raid on them (Cole Fort),
killing Stephen Cole and I think one or two others, which forced them to
retreat to the N side of the river and shelter at KINKAID'S Fort, which was
about one mile above where old Franklin was built afterwards. Of the 5
original forts in the Booneslick area only 3 were left after the indian
raids." The Booneslick area is in present Howard Co. Does anyone know
anything about this Kincaid Fort? Sue
Below is what Lora Mather sent to list in 03 about Kincaid Fort:

Check out www.rootsweb.com. Go to Missouri and select Howard County. Howard
County is north of Cooper County , Missouri. There a section on Old
Settlers Forts and give the exact location of the Kincaid Fort. Including a
listing of the settlers. I believe these Kincaids followed Daniel Boone from
Boonesboro, Kentucky.

I am working the connections to my husband's family. His gg father was from
Grundy County, Missouri. Family record says his first name was Mordecia.
Closest I can find is a Jacob Kincade in 1870 census.

We will be interested in what you come up with on Fort Kincaid!

Happy Hunting!
Don W. Kincaid 1427