KINCAID-L Archives

Archiver > KINCAID > 2011-01 > 1295725134

From: "Barbara Van Hout" <>
Subject: [KINCAID] RW pension application of Alexander Hamilton, 1833,Augusta County, VA
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:38:54 -0500
References: <D22535A99B67497DBE518DE3D264C93A@ownerPC><97B8F433966A447782D3A99F2D933D9D@Susan><2B37FB782C3C410180C3970C5036B36F@DadPC><B4881FD780E04A5A9A79A4E1090D3480@Susan><6F23C80B537849FB8C411EE871FB4798@DadPC><62C4970F1A5C4D4FBABF4F4273E6F5B9@Susan><354649CFD4C7465E8F0A4CEE59ECD0EB@DadPC><98603DDE6E4246F8B072D17F332E3507@DadPC><CBE764AAD05A4F73802E16CD8E4AE2F9@Susan><60B357B173EE4F9E8B23B6E659E65322@DadPC><5761A6C9AE6A40D2836AAC3B8BE59716@Susan><46DF7126026F461CB2CB6C2799B09E4C@INSPIRON560><5C15DD675E674784A69FE959A16DBB99@INSPIRON560><ECF7F6F4B1D84BDDA772352696051D4F@INSPIRON560><38F64E6CC3964E6CB68AD91974D2D21A@Susan>

Here is a summary of a RW pension application made by Alexander Hamilton in
1833 in Augusta County, VA. He said that he rendevouzed early in the spring
of 1780 at Jennings Gap in Augusta County.

Pension Application of Alexander Hamilton S9556

Transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris

Virginia }

Augusta County } SS.

On this 29th day of August 1833 personally appeared before John
C Sowers, John Sproul, John McCue, and William Going the Justices of Augusta
County Court now sitting Alexander Hamilton a resident of Augusta County &
State of Virginia aged about 74 years who being first duly sworn according
to law doth on his oath, make the following declaration in order to obtain
the benefit of the act of Congress passed the 7th June 1832.

That he was born in the said County of Augusta on the [blank] day of Septem’r
1759 as he has allways understood & believes, that there is no register of
his age that he knows of, that he has continued to reside in said County of
Augusta from his birth, and still resides in said County, that as one of the
Malitia of Augusta County, he was drafted into the service of the United
States, and served as follows. He was drafted to go on a tour of duty to
protect the inhabitants of the Western frontiers of Virginia from the
depredations and murders of the Indians; he rendevouzed at Staunton in the
County of Augusta & marched from thence under the command and in the company
of Capt James Trimble, as a private, through Tagert’s valley [sic: Tygart
Valley] in Virginia, to Fort Buchanan on the West Fork of the Monongalia
[sic: Monongahela] river, while he was stationed at this said fort he was
out on several scouting parties, but was in no battle. he is unable by
reason of old age & the consequent loss of memory to swear positively to the
year in which this service was performed but believes it was in the year
1778. he rendevouzed at Staunton on or about the 1st day of May and was
discharged early in the month of July of the same year, and according to the
best of his recollection he served for a period not less than two months as
a private in Capt. James Trimble, that he received no written discharge, and
he knows of no one now liveing by whom he can prove this tour of duty,
unless it be Maj Jos Bell [pension application S6608] of Augusta County
whose testimoney he will make an effort to procure.

His next tour of duty was as one of the Militia of Augusta
County, he was drafted to go to the protection again of the Western frontier
of Virginia against the murders & depredations of the Indians, he
rendevouzed on this occasion early in the spring of 1780 at Jennings Gap in
the County of Augusta and marched from thence as a private in Capt John
McKitricks [John McKittrick’s] company by the Warm Springs (now in Bath
County) to Fort Dinwidie (now in [blank] County) [sic: Fort Dinwiddie at
present Stewartstown in Monongalia County WV] where he remained for a short
term, from Fort Dinwiddie he marched to Fort Warwick (in the County of
[blank; now in Randolph County WV]) where he remained stationed for the
ballance of his tour, going out occasionally on scouting parties, but he was
engaged in no battle. he served he is confident on this occasion a full tour
of duty of three months, he knows of no one now liveing who accompanied him
on this tour of duty, but hopes to introduce some evidence of general
charater proving his services. He received no written discharge.

His third and last service in the War of the revolution was as
one of the drafted malitia of Augusta. he rendivouzed at Waynesborough [sic:
Waynesboro] in Augusta County in the latter part of May 1781 and marched
from thence under the command of of Capt Patrick Buchanan as a private. Col
Thos Hughart [sic: Thomas Hugart] had command of the troops that marched
from Waynesborough to the City of Richmond, from Richmond the company of
Capt Buchanan with others marched to near Williamsburg and on the 26th June
1781 this declarant was in the battle of Hot-Water [also known as Spencer’s
Ordinary, 6 mi NW of Williamsburg], in that battle this declarant had a
Brother James Hamilton [pension application S25128] who was severely
wounded, the said James Hamilton was sent to a Hospital in New Kent County,
and this declarant was ordered to go with and attend upon his Brother whose
wounds were considered dangerous, he did accompany his Brother and remained
with him untill his term of service expired, when he was discharged and his
place as a [illegible word] was taken by another Brother John Hamilton who
was in the service, this declarant recollects that Col or Maj Jack Willis
had command of the troops on the day of the battle of Hot Water. he
remembers also a Col Butler being in command. both these officers belonged
to the regulars. He received no written discharge, nor is he able to state
from the loss of memory the precise time which he served on this occasion,
but he is satisfied he served as a private on this tour at least three
months, and for which he claims a pension. He expects to be able to prove
this tour of duty by Maj Wm Willson [pension application S6393] of Augusta
County.

He would refer to William Willson, & Wm. Brown as persons residing in his
neighbourhood for testimony as to his character and their belief of his
services in the war of the revolution.

He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or
annuity except the present, and declares that his name is not on the pension
roll of the agency of any state.

Sworn to, and subscribed, the day & year aforesaid.
[signed] Alexander Hamilton

Barbara