KINCAID-L Archives

Archiver > KINCAID > 2012-11 > 1353166482

From: "Barbara Van Hout" <>
Subject: Re: [KINCAID] Marriages for Raphoe Diocese in Donegal, Ireland
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:34:42 -0500

Rev. John Gwynn of Lifford, County Donegal, married a McElwaine...See
paragraphs below.

Why is it believed that Rev. Joseph Kincaid was born in County Donegal if
the
Baronscourt Kincaids were in the County Tyrone records at that time?

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/KINCAID/2007-05/1179707901

"A 1706 petition from Newcastle, Delaware, to the General Assembly of the
Church of Scotland, for instance, noted that "the greatest number of us born
and educated in Ireland under the ministry of Mr. William Traill
presbiterian
minister formerly at liford" i.e. Lifford, Co. Donegal "setled with our
families at Newcastle and about it."

The petitioners were Ninian Dunlap, John Stall(?), James Wallace, Matthew
Wallace, David Miller, John Garner, Robert Walis, Andrew Miller, William
Wallace, Morgan Pattan, Abraham Emott, Adam(?) Wallis, John Bolard, Thomas
Wallace,
Joseph Hook(?), James Wallis, Cornelius(?) Cooke, David Wallis, Thomas
Southerland, and John Emott. [These are real signatures and I deciphered
them as
best I could.]

Since the Rev. William Traill was imprisoned (as a religious dissenter at
the order of the Bishop of Raphoe) in 1681 and came to Maryland a year or
two
later, the greater number of the signers must have been in his Lifford
congregation before then.

The original is in the Scottish Record Office CH 1/2/28 fol. 4 and a
photostatic copy in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland T3762."

I should note for you that the Rev. Joseph Kincaid was born
near Lifford, County Donegal. Rev. John Gwynn was Curate of Lifford in the
early 1700s. He married a McElwaine."

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/KINCAID/2002-03/1015108961

Barbara