KINCAID-L Archives

Archiver > KINCAID > 2013-03 > 1362778401

From: "Dennis House" <>
Subject: Re: [KINCAID] DNAanddocswasRe:Gay/GuyfamilyconnectedtoCaptainWilliamKinkeadandJosephKinkead
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:33:21 -0600
References: <51B37E1C87DB478184D975BE550D0BB2@DonHP><CAKRPf4JEKtMENTShxd9PkSaamYV=LKc9JM5OR7TkuorHh+WMzw@mail.gmail.com><87943F32823F4D188EA43C3543397C17@WatchDog><60655AF37A024290ACE8F55462D2DC9C@WatchDog><39DCFF8447DC4BC5824B5074C3F23364@WatchDog><95E621BD0F1D4B98821E53D68EDDB90F@WatchDog><AF0D1FD7DCFE4422A7E3ED74B161F398@WatchDog><EF6281494E1040AD83B989774BFC0ACA@DonHP><A6422423C4424767BA99B09E558441FC@BonniePC><CDFA217C2E9A4CB89A6DDB3FC59761B3@WatchDog><708107937149493398B97F1CD833287E@WatchDog><D2830246A58F4E8489A3F14F42840686@BonniePC><098C74D907A24A45AE37222608FBBDA0@BonniePC><1CA7010E99504F919171C4FA29FA501A@WatchDog><5297634D5F264E3EAD54D25F5675A6AB@DonHP>
In-Reply-To: <5297634D5F264E3EAD54D25F5675A6AB@DonHP>

We might find an answer here. I looked at hundreds of books in my early
years, but only copied Kincaid mentions.

/ /1781 VMLRVirginia Militia in the Revolution - miscellaneous
records. Botetourt - Lt. Andrew Kincaid; Names mentioned in military
accounts ... Jos. Kincade ...; Payroll of Capt. Edward Worthington's Co. of
Caveldry (sic) under command of Col. George Rogers Clark, ... James Kincaid,
Entered service: 11/12/1778, Discharged: 6/1/1779, Days: 201, Pay/Day 1.8
Pay L17 1.

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Don W Kincaid" <>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [KINCAID] DNA
anddocswasRe:Gay/GuyfamilyconnectedtoCaptainWilliamKinkeadandJosephKinkead

> There are several errors in Charles E. Kincaid's letter to Draper which is
> unfortunate. His letter does mention one item we might find an answer to
> and
> that is the cousin who served under Clark whose given name Charles had
> forgotten. If there is only one other Kincaid who served under Clark, the
> identity of the cousin might cement who was the brother of Joseph Kinkead,
> died 1774.
> The errors have been mentioned and will be in the archives but will review
> them here in case someone reads the letter from Charles and thinks it is
> all
> true.
> 1. Joseph Kincaid, son of John Kincaid died 1792, grandson of Joseph, was
> a
> Captain when killed at Battle of Blue Licks.
> 2. William Kincaid, brother of Captain Joseph, was almost the last killed
> by
> Indians but his younger brother was killed by Indians in Mercer County
> around 1795.
> 3. David Kincaid is my direct ancestor and married Isabel Rogers, not "an
> Estill". (A William Kincaid married Martha Estill)
> 4. It was another John Kincaid who named Milford after his slave. Milford
> was freed by this John's wife Eleanor, who had divorced John and lived in
> Mercer County when she freed Milford. I have a copy of the document. I
> have
> never been able to place this other John. He (or his wife) was very
> wealthy
> judging by the items she acquired in the divorce. I have never seen anyone
> else's personal item in early 1800's include a set of fancy chairs,
> silverware, china and etc. Eleanor bought and sold land in Mercer County
> after her divorce and seemed to be a good business person.
> Charles relied on "a very old gentleman, Milton Hay" so can be excused for
> some of the "facts" he wrote to Draper. As far as I know all the rest of
> his letter is factual.
> Don
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dennis House
> Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 12:26 PM
> Subject: Re: [KINCAID] DNA and
> docswasRe:Gay/GuyfamilyconnectedtoCaptainWilliamKinkeadandJosephKinkead
> Peter,
> That reminds me of the Draper Papers. I wonder if the originals still
> exist
> somewhere? Here, (FYI to the board) is the full text of a letter that you
> had from back in 2005, affecting The Joseph Kinkead d.1774 line.
> KEN 05/21/1884 CKP-412( ) Here is the full text of the letter, provided
> by
> Peter A. Kincaid, rootweb, 1/19/2005
> State of Kentucky Executive Department
> Frankfort May 21, 1884
> Hon Lyman C. Draper:
> Dear Sir;
> You will remember my having written to you some time ago in regard to the
> Kincaid and Lockhart families. As I told you my great grand father John
> Kincaid, who was born in Scotland perhaps, married a Miss Jane Lockhart.
> The tradition is that the two was born in Scotland but was brought to
> America when quite an infant. The Kincaids were Presbyterians and
> tradition says they came from Scotland via the north of Ireland. James
> Kincaid and his brother Joseph and a cousin whose christian name has been
> lost; served under Clarke in his Expeditions beyond the Ohio River. The
> cousin was wounded in one of the battles. James Kincaid and his brother
> were at the battle of the Blue Licks where the latter was killed. Israel
> Wilson a brother in law of James Kincaid was also killed in the same
> fight.
> The Wilsons were pioneers from [F...] Co Va. Some time since a brief
> sketch
> of some of their exploits was published or rather republished in the
> Danville Ky Advocate. Mr. Boyle the Editor told me that you wrote him for
> the paper containing the article and this is the occasion of my writing
> you
> again. James Kincaid was called "Col" but he did not hold that rank in
> the
> armies. He was an officer however as was evidenced by the fact that he
> drew
> a pension larger than that of a private.
> Joseph Kincaid was a Lieutenant - I think. Their brother William Kincaid
> was about the last man killed by the Indians in Kentucky. He was pursuing
> a
> band of Indians who had stolen horses and was killed at the foot of the
> "Big
> Hill" in Madison County. There was another brother David Kincaid
> mentioned
> in Collins' history as a sargeant; was also a noted Indian fighter or
> "scout". He married an Estill - a near relation of Gen Estill killed in
> the[Wyaindotte] battle near Mt. Sterling. Most of these facts I gathered
> from a very old gentleman Milton Hay, grandson of James Kincaid, who
> learned
> them from his mother to whom they were quite fresh. John Kincaid, the
> father of Col James, Joseph, William and David, built one of the first log
> "Meeting Houses" in the state with the aid of some slaves he had brought
> from Virginia. He was a Presbyterian Elder and performed the funeral
> services over the dead after the Indian encounters. He named the first
> county seat of Madison County Milford after a faithful old slave. The
> county seat was afterwards moved six miles to Richmond. I saw in the
> records of the Mercer County court about a year ago where John Kincaid
> "set"
> Milford free. John Kincaid son of Col James and my grand father was a
> distinguished lawyer of this State and member of Congress in President
> Jackson's time. He also held a number of state offices.
> I write you these facts in full hoping that you may do Justice to these
> pioneers whose deeds of daring drove the Red Men from this glorious old
> state. They have never had Justice done them in any of the histories or
> sketches of early times, though this is due to the death of the older
> members of the family and the negligence of thier descendants. My father
> William Garnett Kincaid was a Captain in the Mexican war and the tent-mate
> of young Henry Clay but no one would ever know it unless they asked him.
> He
> has never attended a Reunion though one is held every year in this State.
> Since writing you last I came into possession of a sketch of one branch of
> our family, the Lewis family of Virginia which is very interesting. I
> have
> every link in the chain back into Wales. Charles and Andrew Lewis who
> fell
> at Point Pleasant and Col Fielding Lewis who married Gen Washington's
> sister
> were of that family. Lieut Gov Richard Hickman and Gen Roger Hanson of
> this
> State were of that stock.
> Another family I want to write you about is the Waggeners of Virginia and
> the Gaines family with whom they inter married. My great great grand
> father
> James Waggener married a sister of Gen Gaines of the Revolutionary War.
> She
> was an aunt of Gen Ed[ward] Pendleton Gaines of the war of '12, Florida
> and
> Mexican wars. Now can you tell me where I can get any history [bearing
> upon] the old General Gaines and his family.
> I know full well I am trespassing [surely] upon your time but these are
> matters of interest to me and I trust you will be patient with me. It is
> only within the last two years that I have given these matters any study
> and
> I find them entertaining. Another ancestor, my great great grand father
> Capt. Peter Evans of the Revolutionary War came from Prince William County
> Va to this State and is buried in Clark County. His wife was a Bullitt I
> think. His brother in law, I believe it was Cuthbert Combs, came with
> him.
> Do you know anything of these folk.
> When will your work be published. I want a copy of it when it is ready
> for
> reading. I hope to hear from you soon.
> Yours Truly
> Chas. E. Kincaid
> Private Secretary to Gov. Knott
> Source: State Historical Society of Wisconsin. The Draper manuscript
> collection microform
> (Lyman Copeland Draper, 1815-1891, Manuscripts). Chicago: Photographed
> for
> State Historical
> Society of Wisconsin by University of Chicago Photoduplication Dept.,
> 1980. Kentucky
> Series,33CC67, May 21, 1884
> ==========================================================================================
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Kincaid" <>
> Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 1:09 PM
> Subject: Re: [KINCAID] DNA and docs
> wasRe:Gay/GuyfamilyconnectedtoCaptainWilliamKinkeadandJosephKinkead
>> This reminds me of a post here several years ago. One
>> person had been given a collection of letters from various
>> Kincaids around the US (relative had written them about
>> their ancestry in the 1950s or so). She was looking for a
>> new home for them. These might have lots of stamps
>> with valuable and since lost dna. I can't recall the person
>> but Margaret Van ___ comes to mind. The same goes
>> with Olivia Brisbin's letters.
>> Peter
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Kincaid
>> Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 2:37 PM
>> To:
>> Subject: [KINCAID] DNA and docs was
>> Re:Gay/GuyfamilyconnectedtoCaptainWilliamKinkeadandJosephKinkead
>> I don't believe you will find much blood on deeds. The registry
>> has mostly copies of the originals and I don't believe it was
>> a practice in the British Isles to sign with blood.
>> On the other hand, people should go looking for those old
>> family letters. They have been successful in getting dna
>> from the back of stamps. Storage and humidity play a
>> big role. Certainly a lot more likely scenario than blood
>> on documents.
>> Peter
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Dennis House
>> Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 1:52 PM
>> To:
>> Subject: Re: [KINCAID]
>> Gay/GuyfamilyconnectedtoCaptainWilliamKinkeadandJosephKinkead
>> Peter,
>> Might there be deeds in Scotland or Ireland from those time periods that
>> also have blood on them? I wonder if any original deeds in the colonies
>> had
>> blood on them, too?
>> For complete information about the Kincaid of all spellings DNA project,
>> including a chart, lineages, and how to participate, go to:
>> www.kincaiddna.org
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes
>> in the subject and the body of the message
>> For complete information about the Kincaid of all spellings DNA project,
>> including a chart, lineages, and how to participate, go to:
>> www.kincaiddna.org
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> For complete information about the Kincaid of all spellings DNA project,
> including a chart, lineages, and how to participate, go to:
> www.kincaiddna.org
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> For complete information about the Kincaid of all spellings DNA project,
> including a chart, lineages, and how to participate, go to:
> www.kincaiddna.org
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message