KING-L Archives

Archiver > KING > 1998-01 > 0885014292

From: Clanton/Simpson <>
Subject: Henry Co., VA - KINGS
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:18:12 -0800

Hi King Rooters,

I thought that some of you might get some assistance from this excerpt
from Mr. Pace's book. It gives some background on Henry Co. Kings. It
is also a bit difficult to follow in places but hopefully will be of
help. I don't have the book but this was passed on to me by a Henry
County friend.

Susan Clanton Simpson

Excerpt from John E. Pace’s Book on his Family, pps. 71-74, Chapter 17


I would like to include here the ancestry of great grandmother
Jane King since the King family is so much a part of our family also.

The King family claims descent from an Irish king who lost his
throne centuries ago before surnames became generally used. The Kings
of Henry County are descendants of William King and his wife, Judith
Payton, of Stafford and Prince William Counties. Saunders King of
Brunswick County is a more recent descendant in our family line.

The Henry County Kings begin with two cousins, Rev. John King and
George King. Rev. John King was called "the one legged preacher",
having lost a leg in early life. He came to Henry County about 1780,
settled on Leatherwood and preached at Old Leatherwood Church for about
forty years. Semple's History says of him, "few men open their mouths
in the pulpit to more purpose than Mr. King. His language is strong,
his ideas clear, his countenance grave and solemn. Though modest and
unassuming out of-the pulpit, when he ascends the stand he speaks as one
Miss Judith Hill’s History records the first John King in Henry County
as the Reverend John King. Having been raised in a Primitive Baptist
home with most of the old Paces that I have known being Primitive
Baptist, and I have heard them preach for more than eighty years, I know
the preachers are not known as Reverend, but as Elders. John King was
known in his day as Elder John King. Greenville T. Pace, son of Capt.
John Pace, was a charter member of New Leatherwood Church which was
organized about 1844. It is now known as old Leatherwood Church.
"Uncle Joe" (Joseph Daniel Pace) who died in 1909 was a member of this
old church.

Our family line comes through George King, pioneer and first cousin
to Elder John King. He was born in Brunswick County in 1730, married
Mary Niblet and settled on Leatherwood Creek where he raised his
family. His eldest son, George W. King, married Susan, a daughter of
General Joseph Martin. History records that he saw much service under
his father-in-law fighting Indians. He died on one of these expeditions
out west in 1838. His children were Susan C., Lewis Graves, Elizabeth,
Thomas H., Sallie,William E. and George W., Jr.

Thomas, the second son, married Charity Stockton. He was a prominent
farmer and liked to fox hunt. In 1826 he was killed by his friend and
neighbor, Jack Hairston. over a frivolous affair. The story goes that
his dog guarded his body two days before returning home and leading his
family to a thorn thicket where his body had been hidden. His children
were Camillus, Columbus, Cephas, Martha and Elizabeth.

John King, the youngest son of George, the pioneer, was born around
1774, and married Mary Love of Pittsylvania County. (These are our
Columbus King and his wife, Susan's history are unknown. He died in

Jane, or "Gincy", King was born in 1775 and married William DeShazo,
the progenitor of the DeShazo family in Henry County. She died in 1864.

Fannie married James McCullock. Thenia married a Wills and Susan
married George Wells on December 19, 1801. Mary (Polly) married Charles
Jones. Tabby married John DeGraffenreid but had no children. After her
husband died, a negro killed her for her money.

Now let’s go back to John King, born in1774 for whom my father
John Tyler Pace was named. He married Mary Love and their children were
Thomas King who married Mary Cahill who was born Nov. 9, 1804 and moved
to Henry Co., Missouri where they raised a family.

George King married Mary Smith, a step-daughter of Ballinger Wade,
settled in Kentucky and reared four children. A letter reported him in
good health in 1842, in Christiana County.

William King, the third son, married a Stockton, and he too,
settled in Missouri. He was a Baptist Minister, visited this county in
1851 and died soon afterwards. His son, John (Jack) King, married and
reared a daughter, Helen, who married a Gravely. She had a son, John
King Gravely.

Columbus King was living at Marrowbone Kentucky in 1838 and had

Jacob King was born May 3, 1800, married Jane Thornton Dec. 16, 1824
and died in 1842. He was a good farmer and businessman and lived in
Leatherwood. Of his children a daughter, Louisa, died at 17 years of
age and Susan at 8. James R., Isaac and their mother died in a few days
of each other of measles. Mary Elizabeth King alone survived of the

This lone survivor, Mary Elizabeth King, married Major William
Parker Terry. According to the 1880 census, William Parker Terry was
born in 1817 and lived to be 76, dying in 1893.

William and Mary Elizabeth's children were Willie, Jacob, Lou,
Anna, Mary,
and Thornton who must have been the one we knew as Ben. This family
also had a tragic ending. I never heard what became of Anna who was
born about 1859 but the boys became embroiled with the Spencer family
who lived at Spencer,Virginia 10 or 12 miles west of Martinsville. The
Terrys lived 5 or 6 miles east. They would make disparaging remarks
about each other and since they were both prominent Virginia families
and took great pride in their family honor, these remarks soon became
insulting and turned into a family feud.This ended in a shootout in
Martinsville when Peter Spencer shot Jacob and Willie Terry on the 17th
of May, 1886. Jacob, who was named for his Grand-father King, was
killed instantly while Willie lived two or three weeks and died. The
Terrys always claimed that the Spencers took an unfair advantage of

Now Thornton,"or Ben, was the only boy left. He lived in North
Carolina just below Draper (Eden now). He had a good farm and was known
far and wide as Col. Ben Terry. He also had a host of friends, one a
first cousin of mine, Tony Eggleston a hale and hardy fellow, well met.
Tony was a blacksmith and tradition says there were none better than
Tony. He and Col. Ben Terry were the best of friends. When Col. Ben
was old and got sick he went to Danville to the hospital where he soon
died. He, having no close kin, was carried to the undertaker to be
prepared for burial. Tony was notified and he went down to Danville to
bring his good friend home for burial. When he arrived and was shown
the remains, Tony told the funeral director that this was not the man he
had come for, whereupon the funeral director told Tony, this is the man
brought in here by the name of Col. Ben-Terry. Tony said it couldn't
be for "Col. Ben had a nice Van Dyke beard, this man has none." "This
man had a beard when he was brought here, but we thought he would look
better clean shaven so we shaved it off" said the undertaker. Tony
nearly exploded. He told the undertaker "It's a (D --- ) good thing
that old man is dead instead of alive. If he were alive and found out
you had cut off his whiskers, he'd give you (H --- )!

Col. Ben had no children. He was never married.

This thread: