KINNEY-L Archives

Archiver > KINNEY > 2002-03 > 1016493550

From: "Cathy Casper" <>
Subject: Re: Re: [KINNEY] William KINNEY 1733
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:19:10 -0500

Hi Fred,

If I am not mistaken, the Benjamin Franklin Kinney to whom you refer, born
1781, is actually the son of William Kinney born on or before 1755 per DAR
records. Christian Kinney's marriage records indicate that he married 1792
to Katherine Smith, daughter of Leonard Smith. This is the first time that
Chrisitian is seen in official records of Rowan County, NC.

It is assumed that B. F. Kinney married Elizabeth Merrill and that she was
the daughter of Penelope Merrill and Benjamin Merrill who were first
cousins. Penelope was the daughter of Capt. Benjamin Merrill who was
executed at the Battle of Alamance in 1771 in Rowan County, NC. Penelope's
mother was Jemima Smith Merrill. Merrill researchers have no identified
husband for Elizabeth. They consider her the best possibility for the wife
of B.F. Kinney. She is not mentioned in her father's will, but then, not all
of his children are mentioned.

Yes, please come to the website. You will find many records there of
interest to you!

I have listed as the children of William Kinney and Sarah/Sallie Parks as:
Jesse born 1778, married Sarah Cox. Migrated to Habersham County, GA
Thomas, born 1779, married Rebecca Woodle. Migrated to South Carolina
Benjamin Franklin, born 1781, married Elizabeth Merrill. Moved to Buncombe
County, NC
William II, born 1783, married Susannah Ward. Migrated to Carroll County, GA
by way of Habersham County, GA
Jemima, born 1785, married James Badgett. Buried in Davidson County
Anne, married a Smith either Fred or George. Nothing known of her.
Isaac, born 1789, married Susannah Workman. Remained in Rowan/Davidson
County, NC.
Unknown daughter, possibly Allice. No dates or marriage info available.
Unknown daughter, possibly Polly Jane, born 1795, migrated to KY with
Harrison Newsome.

Anyone on this list with info of any of the above people, please share your
info! Corrections and additions are welcome.

Cathy M. Casper
Sanford, NC