KIRKPATRICK-L Archives

Archiver > KIRKPATRICK > 2001-07 > 0994687077

From: "" <>
Subject: [KIRKPATRICK] W.T. Kirkpatrick & CS Lewis
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:57:57 -0400

Here's a British Kirkpatrick that I found interesting to learn about:

When CS Lewis was sixteen he "was sent to be tutored by W.T.
Kirkpatrick. "Kirk" or the "Great Knock" as he was sometimes called,
was a brillian teacher who taught Lewis to analyze, think, write , and
speak clearly and logically."...."In fact, much of the clarity of his
writing, his careful choice of words, his considered arguments for the
faith, and his later tutorial style were shaped during this period.
Lewis says: 'My debt to him is very great, my reverence to this day
undiminished." Some have said that many of his later works were written
with a sense that Kirk (although by that time dead) was looking over his
shoulder." From Profiles in Faith: C.S. Lewis (1898-1963) by Dr. Art
Lindsley in C.S. Lewis Institute Report, Summer 2001

This thread: