KNOX-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > KNOX-DNA > 2008-10 > 1222853313

From: "Ivan Knox" <>
Subject: Re: [KNOX-DNA] About the New KNOX-DNA Mail List...
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:28:33 +0100

Wednesday 1st October 2008.

Hi , good morning from Ireland.

forefather John Knox born 1785 who married a lady named Herron or Harron,
they had a family of two sons and seven girls, .John had a brother William
born 1795 who married a lady named Gardiner and had a family of ten girls
and four sons.
I have information in my possession that we are of the same Knox line as
that of General Henry Knox 1st Sec of War in the USA.His Father came from
County Donegal Ireland while his Mother came from County Tyrone Ireland.The
wife or mother of President Andrew Jackson was one of this family.
Further back than 1785 I don't know but I would be delighted to find out.

I was told by my grandfather that our families of Knox are of the same line
as John Knox the great Scottish Reformer Church Minister, and Andrew Knox
Bishop of Raphoe 1611, died 1632., who's families can be traced back to
around when they had no surname, the couple were known as Adamus and
Cybilla, the got their surname from her father who was high sheriff of
Scotland and as a wedding gift gave her a plot of ground with contained a
large rock or stone.
The Gaelic spoken word for rock or stone is (Cnoc)translated down the years
to Knox,and that is when the surname was first known.
I hope this piece of information is of some use to your DNA projects.
Kindest regards
Ivan Knox.