KORNEGAY-L Archives

Archiver > KORNEGAY > 1999-03 > 0921124080

From: <>
Subject: Re: [KORNEGAY-L] Scott Kornegay line
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 22:48:00 EST

>>>Hello. My name is Scott Kornegay originally from Dothan, Houston Co,
Alabama.
I am beginning to take an interest in my ancestry and would appreciate any
information that is available. I regret that I currently have very little to
offer in return. My great grandfather was George Walter Kornegay d. circa
1967 in Dothan. To my knowledge, he had six children, Paul, Jack, Lucille,
Helen, Ruth, and Dorothy. My grandfather is Jack. My father is Walter
Stanley. Any information, advice, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Scott <<<

Scott, I look through my database and found 4 George Walter Kornegays, but one
did have the death date of 16 Sept 1967 and children you mentioned. This must
be your great grandfather. He was born 1 Oct 1890. Married Vincie Watford
(dau. of Sidney Alexander Watford and Cynthia McAllister). Their children
were:
Irma Lucille, Annie Ruth, George Walter (again), Paul, Helen, Dorothy. I
don't have a Jack. Jack is sometimes a nickname for John. I wonder if Paul's
full name was John Paul?

George Walter Kornegay b. 1890 was the son of Jonah R. Kornegay b. 1862 and
Margaret Baxley b. 1857. Jonah was son of George Walter Kornegay b. 1820 d.
aft. 1870 and Sophia Godwin who he married 1855 in Jackson Co. Florida.

George Walter Kornegay (b. 1820) was the son of William Kornegay,Jr. 1768-1837
and Charlotte (Best?) O'Daniel abt. 1766-____.

William Jr. was son of William Kornegay b. 1736, Craven Co. NC, d. 22 Jun
1812, Glisson Township, Duplin Co. NC, and Elizabeth Outlaw 1742- 30 Apr
1821.

William Sr. was son of George Kornegay b. abt 1701 in Europe. He was called a
Palatine. This could have meant he was from the Palatine area of Germany, but
the term was used rather generically and applied to virtually all the
immigrants that came with Baron von Graffenreid to settle the New Bern area of
North Carloina in 1711. He recruited from Switzerland, Germany, Holland,
England (a little) and Ireland (mostly Palatines who had previously migrated
to Ireland in the last few years of the 17th century).

George Kornegay b. 1701 died 29 Nov 1773, probably in Craven Co. NC. He
married twice, but this line is descended from his first wife, Mary (Fisher?)
abt 1700-abt 1750.

George's father is known as John George Kornegay, but we are rather certain
this is an Anglicanized version of his name. There is still much speculation
as to what his real name was before the corruption of the spelling.

This gets you back about as far as we have been able to document. It's a good
start for you.

Matt Ward

This thread: