KORNEGAY-L Archives

Archiver > KORNEGAY > 2006-12 > 1166018125

From: "Matt Ward" <>
Subject: Re: [KORNEGAY] How Kornegay is Pronounced
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 07:55:25 -0600

Which syllable is accented in the north?

All of the following names have been suggested as possible original surnames
that got corrupted into Kornegay. Gnagi, Gnagy, Gnaegi, Gnegy, Gnagi,
Gnecki, Gnage, Knege, Kenege, Knag, Knegi, Knecky, Kinige, Kenaga, Hornigh).
Some have an umlaut over the central vowel that I don't know how to
reproduce with my Outlook Express email fonts. Of the lot, Hornigh is the
least likely in my opinion because it would not sound anything like the
typical pronounciation of Kornegay in either English or German.

Matt