KSBUTLER-L Archives

Archiver > KSBUTLER > 2000-05 > 0957483410


From: Peggy Luce <>
Subject: [KSBUTLER] Emmet & James Bishop
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 16:36:50 -0700


Posted on: Butler Co. Ks Biographies
Board URL: http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/USA/Ks/ButlerBios?read=35

Surname: Bishop, Robison
-------------------------

History of Butler county, Kansas, by Vol. P. Mooney 1916

Pages 543-544

Bishop Brothers - This enterprising and progressive firm is composed of
Emmet and James Bishop, and they rank among the successful dealers in Percheron
horses and Holstein cattle of Butler county. Both Emmett and James Bishop
were born in Benton county, Arkansas, and their parents both died when
the boys were very young. James was taken by an uncle who resided in Missouri,
and was reared to manhood and educated there. Emmett was reared in Arkansas
and was educated in the public schools of Benton county. In 1891, he located
in Bates county, where he followed farming until February, 1899: he then
went to the Stae of Washington, where he remained until November of that
year, when he came to Butler county, and he and his brother James entered
the employ of J. C. Robison at the Whitewater Falls stock farm. After remaining
there about a year the two brothers went to Oklahoma to harvest a crop
of wheat which they had there, after which they returned to Kansas, making
Towanda their permanent home.

James entered the general store of M. Orban, Jr., as a clerk and Emmet
entered the employ of the D. M. Osborne Machine Company, and was on the
road for that company for two years and then entered the employ of the
J. I. Case Company, of Racine, Wis., traveling for that company four years.
While Emmet was on the road, James began to deal in percheron horses, in
a small way, and in 1908 was joined by his brother, Emmet, and the partnership
which was formed at that time still exists. J. C. Robison had an interest
in the business up to that time, but in 1909 Bishop Brothers became the
exclusive owners.

The Bishop Brothers have been unusually successful in their venture and
are among the representative Percheron horse dealers of the State. They
usually have on hand about seventy-five head of Percheron horses and their
farm, three and one-half miles southeast of Towanda, and stables, located
at Towanda, are well equipped and adapted to this line of business. During
the past year they have added a new feature to their business and are rapidly
building up a trade as dealers in the Holstein cattle, and now have on
hand about 150 head of pure bred and high grade animals. They have 320
acres of land, about half of which they reserve for pasture and the other
half is under a high state of cultivation. The Bishop Brothers are among
the leading horse and cattle men of the county.

This thread: