KY-7THINF-L Archives

Archiver > KY-7THINF > 2008-08 > 1217987392

From: "David Pitman" <>
Subject: Re: [KY-7THINF] Diaries, Journals, Memoirs?
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 21:49:52 -0400

I just visited The Gap a few weeks ago and they (NPS?) have done a wonderful
job of posting information about the Cumberland Gap during the Civil War
years throughout the park. My ancestor was left sick at Manchester two days
after the explosion and resulting retreat. He was listed as deserted in
April of 1863. When he couldn't locate the 7th KY he joined the 11th OH Cav
and spent the rest of the war with them. I have his pension papers
verifying this.

BTW, I also just returned from visiting my 7th KY ancestor's grave in Clay
Co., KY. His military headstone issued by the government is almost
unreadable. The name and information is almost totally obliterated. Does
anyone know if the government will provide a replacement? Or is
one-per-customer the rule of thumb? I'd hate for this grave to be lost to
posterity. It is in a rather obscure place already. The forest is quickly
encroaching.

Kym