KY-SLAVES-L Archives

Archiver > KY-SLAVES > 2002-03 > 1015010012

From: "Ramona Gayle Bayes Woods" <>
Subject: Re: [KY-SLAVES] Brown Family of Harlan and Rowan Co. KY-Thank You
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:14:41 -0500

Hi Jerry and All,
Jerry thank you so much for answering.
I have Creech lines also-and our Wood/Woods lines are very hard to research.
With the phone ringing off the hook and our 2 grandsons here with us while
our dau is in the hospital with the new babe-I don't have time to get all my
Brown-Creeh family info together-but will try early in the morn.
Steve's Wood/Woods family lines are Delilah Evans d/o Samuel and Nancy
Fitzpatrick Evans Floyd Co. KY>Delilah md. David Smith s/o David Smith
mother UNknown in Ross Co. OH> Mary Ellen Smith md. Arthur Wood/Woods s/o
Alfred Wood/Woods and Mary Ann Hughes>Raymond Perry Wood/Woods md. Ruby
Schwartz d/o David Schwartz and Florence Bucy>Steve Woods.
We were always told that David Smith met Delilah while in Kentucky-came up
here to Southern OH to work-and went back and md. Delilah in Floyd Co. and
came back here to settle in Pike/Ross County, OH.
There is Woods Hollow Road where the Woods family settled on land given
them-but we cannot find our Smith/Evans from Kentucky to Southern Ohio.
I will send more later when things are less rushed.
Tomorrow is our Grandson Austin's 5th birthday and we will have his party
here at home-so I must get ready for the big day.
Take Care,
Ramona

Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 12:15 AM
Ramona,
In the southern portion of Harlan County, my immediate family was the only
BROWN's of color. There were some white BROWN's, and my father's mail,
Walter W. BROWN was frequently missent to Walter C. BROWN, and vice versa.
I only knew a few people in the northern part of the county - Cumberland,
Benham and Lynch. There may have been some BROWN's there,
but I never met them.

Walter W. BROWN came from Chattanooga, TN via Hazard in Perry County.
He and my mother, Helen CREECH were married at her parents home in
Harlan on July 4, 1937. My mother's ancestors came to Harlan County as
slaves from North Carolina in 1808.

Who were your BROWNS, and when were they in Harlan County?

There was a WOOD family in Harlan. William WOOD was the principal of
Rosenwald School.

My wife, Maxine GREGORY also from Harlan, and I both graduated from
Kentucky State. She also attended UK and was a teacher in Madisonvill
and Harlan.

JerryBrown

This thread: