KYANDERS-L Archives

Archiver > KYANDERS > 1998-11 > 0910736755

From: Byron Marshall <>
Subject: [KYANDERS-L] Presley Davis
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:25:55 -0600

Hello Dick:
Apologies at the outset for the length of this message but I am hoping the
detail will help.
When I e-mailed you earlier I had not yet seen your post of last year. It
helps me put some of my puzzle together. First let me say what I have and
then ask a question:
MacKenzie, "Colonial Families of USA" vol.2, p.519 has Nancy MILTON
marrying Presley DAVIS May 19, 1819 and the two settling in Shelby Co. KY
where they had a son Taliaferro Milton DAVIS (who later moved to Missouri).
My notes from Cliff, "KY Marriages 1797-1865" (reprinted from Register of
KY Historical Society) p.21 has the groom's name as "Priestly" and her name
as "Ann" with the date as May 01. The date may be of the bond while his
name may be a misprint. Joyce (no last name given -- <> )
wrote
"Nancy" was a common nickname for "Ann", so these two are probably one
and the
same. Do you know where they were married -- what county? I have
MILTON's in
northern KY about that time. Don't know if Ann/Nancy is connected to
mine or
not.
Joyce
I agree that "Ann" probably a nickname for Nancy since her mother also a
Nancy.

Secondly, Presley DAVIS is listed as a witness to the will of his father
Capt Jesse DAVIS
(c.1751-c.1818 born in VA son of Isaac DAVIS) in 1818 and that of William
DAVIS (his brother's?) in 1836; both in Nelson Co.KY.

If all of this sounds correct then I would like from you the names of the
other children of Jesse Davis.
I am also curious whether there is any connection to my great grandmother,
Melissa M. DAVIS (b. 1834 in Anderson Co. KY) who married Zack Green MILTON
c.1854)

Byron Marshall