Archiver > KYBIOGRAPHIES > 2000-04 > 0955021394

From: Sandi Gorin <>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 06:43:14 -0500

4266 HINES, THOMAS HENRY - Hines Carson
4277 SOUTH, L C - South Cockrell Hughes Hockersmith
4252 SULLIVAN, THEODORICK N - Sullivan Collins Church Moss Taylor
4253 WIGGINGTON, MILTON - Wigginton Smith Calvert Linsly Parker Clubb
Anderson Johnson Thornsbery Forwood James
4254 BLAYNEY, J McCLUSKY - Blayney Faris Lindsey

#4266: Lawyers and Lawmakers of Kentucky, by H. Levin, editor, 1897.
Published by Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago. Reprinted by Southern
Historical Press. p. 101. Franklin County. THOMAS HENRY HINES, of
Frankfort, member of the court of appeals from 1878 until 1885 and chief
justice during the last two years of his service on the supreme bench, was
born in Butler county, Kentucky, October 9, 1838, a son of Judge Warren W.
and Sarah (Carson) Hines. His ancestors were of a English and Scotch origin
and were among the first settlers of Kentucky. They were noted for their
love of liberty and were men of strong individuality. Judge Hines attended
the common schools to a limited extent during his youth, but his literary
education was largely acquired outside of the
school-room. Of a studious nature and anxious for self-improvement, he
utilized all the means whereby he might add to his store of knowledge, and
had made such rapid advancement that in 1859 he was offered a position as
teacher in the Masonic University of La Grange, where he remained until the
war. Deeply in sympathy with the south, he joined the Confederate army,
and the days of chivalry furnish few tales of greater heroism, loftier
patriotism or more loyal devotion than he displayed. It was he who planned
and secured the escape of General Morgan and six of the Confederate
officers who had been taken prisoner by the Union troops and whose loss to
the southern cause was immeasurable. He was then but twenty-three years of
age, but he displayed a military ingenuity and mental alertness shown by
few generals of either army. Treatment received in the prison determined
him to plan a means of escape. Prison life had become intolerable, and the
thought of breathing the free air of heaven once more was inexpressibly
sweet. Being led to believe by the dry condition of the cells that there
must be air passages under the prison, and in pursuance of an idea
suggested by the escape of Jean Valjean, as portrayed by Victor Hugo in Les
Miserables, Judge Hines resolved to make and opening into these air cells
and by means of those subterranean passages effect on escape. There were
difficulties to overcome from the arrangement of the cells,--five tiers or
stories of solid stone masonry, six feet long, six feet high and three feet
wide. With two case knives which had been sent from the hospital the work
was begun November 4 in Captain Hines' cell, he assuming the responsibility
and alone taking the risk of discovery and its consequent punishment by
imprisonment in the dungeon. Only two men could work at a time, and it was
not until November 25th that the passage was made clear to the yard of the
penitentiary; but at length through the walls of solid masonry apertures
were effected, and by a little strategy General Morgan and six captains, on
a dark and stormy night, made their way into these air cells and crawled
through them to liberty. It was one of the most subtly contrived and
skillfully arranged maneuvers found on the pages of military history, and
was all the result of the planning and labors of Judge Hines. Before they
reached safety within the Confederate lines his wit and bravery were again
called into requisition on behalf of General Morgan, and later on many a
battle-field he displayed equal coolness and daring in command of his
troops. His military record is unsurpassed for bravery and his strategic
movements were worthy the skill of a Fabius. After the war Captain Hines
went to Toronto, Canada, where he began the study of law under John C.
Breckenridge. In March, 1866, he returned to his country, and in Memphis,
Tennessee, completed his law studies under the direction of General Albert
Pike, at the same time having editorial charge of the Memphis Daily Appeal.
In October, 1867,
he removed to Bowling Green, where he successfully practiced law until
1870, when he was elected judge of the Warren country court. He resigned,
however, in 1872, in order to give his attention to the court of appeals
and his eighteen year term on that bench was distinguished by the highest
legal ability. To wear the ermine worthily it is not enough that one
possesses legal acumen, is learned in the principles of jurisprudence,
familiar with precedents and thoroughly honest. Many men, even when acting
uprightly, are wholly unable to divest themselves of prejudice and are
unconsciously warped in their judgments by their own mental characteristics
or educational peculiarities. This unconscious and variable disturbing
force enters more or less into the judgments of all men, but in the ideal
jurist this factor becomes so small as not to be discernible in results and
loses its potency at a disturbing force. Judge Hines was exceptionally
free from all judicial bias. His varied legal learning and wide experience
in the courts, the patient care with which he ascertained all the facts
bearing upon every case which came before him,
gave his decisions a solidity and an exhaustiveness from which no members
of the bar could take exception. His professional career has been
successful and brilliant, and he is now one of Frankfort's most eminent

#4267: Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 5th
ed., 1887, Franklin Co. L. C. SOUTH, born in Breathitt County, Ky.,
January 12, 1848, was the eighth son of Col. Jerry W. and Mary M.
(Cockrell) South. The Colonel was born in Madison County July 10, 1808,
moved to Breathitt County in 1827, commenced to mine for coal, and remained
until 1859. He was elected keeper of the penitentiary in January, 1858,
and moved and took charge of the same March 3, 1859. He held the position
until 1863, when he moved to Woodford County, and farmed until 1871. In
that year he was elected by the Legislature to be keeper of the
penitentiary again, and held the
position until he died, April 15, 1880. He died very suddenly in the
Senate chamber at Frankfort; had been sick and was able to walk around, and
went up to shake hands with the senators with whom he was personally
acquainted, and after he got through he sat down on a chair and died
instantly. In 1840 he represented Breathitt and Morgan Counties in the
Legislature one term, and in 1843 was elected to the Senate and served one
term. He was also magistrate of Breathitt County for several years. Samuel
South, grandfather of L. C. South, was born in Maryland, immigrated to
Kentucky in quite an early day, and settled at Boonesboro when he was only
fifteen years old. He was a general in the war of 1812, and served
thirteen years in the Legislature for Madison County. Then was elected
State treasurer, and was treasurer of Kentucky ten years. L. C. South was
assistant keeper of the penitentiary all the time his father had charge
thereof, and head clerk of the institution. He married, April 27, 1881,
Allie Hughes, of Franklin County, daughter of G. C. and Julia (Hockersmith)
Hughes. Two children have been born to this union: Pattie B. and Weldon H.
In 1884 Mr. South opened a general store at Forks of Elkhorn.

#4268: Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 5th
ed., 1887, Franklin Co. THEODORICK N. SULLIVAN, born in Woodford County,
Ky., October 6, 1824, is a son of James and Jincey (Collins) Sullivan. The
father was born in Virginia, and was a son of James, Sr., who was born in
Ireland; the mother, Jincey, was born in Kentucky and was a daughter of
Joseph Collins. Theodorick N. lived in Woodford County until 1835; then
moved with his parents to Franklin County where he has lived ever since.
His father was a mechanic by trade, was also a farmer and owned a hemp
factory from 1836 to 1839. Theodorick N. Sullivan farmed up to 1868, then
opened a general store at Peak's Mills [sic], Franklin County, and sold
goods until 1872, and also had farming carried on, but in 1872 he abandoned
the goods business and has been actively engaged in farming and stock
raising ever since, on 337 acres, making a specialty of Berkshire hogs and
Shorthorn Durham cattle. He was married, May 8, 1856, to Miss Nancy
Church, of Franklin County, daughter of James and Mary (Moss) Church, and
eight children have blessed this union, seven living: George F., James M.,
Claude, Harry H., Jincey Z., Charles D. and Lewis T. Madora, now deceased,
married Joseph M. Taylor, and had one child, Dora Belle, who now lives with
Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan, who with Claude, James M. and Jincey Z. are members
of the Christian Church.

#4269: Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 5th
ed., 1887, Franklin Co. MILTON WIGGINTON, a prominent farmer in Franklin
County, was born in Scott County, April 23, 1832, and is the eldest son of
Spencer and Susan (Smith) Wigginton. Spencer was born in Bourbon County,
Ky., and was a son of Harry
Wigginton, who was born in Virginia. Mrs. Susan Wigginton was born in
Kentucky, and was a daughter of Enoch Smith. Milton Wigginton remained in
his native county until 1856, then went to Clinton County, Mo., and
remained until 1863, then returned to Scott County and staid [sic] until
1864, then removed to Franklin County. He has always been engaged in
farming and stock raising, and owns 177 acres in Franklin County and 240
acres in Scott County. He also makes a specialty of trading in cattle. He
was elected magistrate and served two terms or eight years. February 13,
1855, he married Susan Calvert, of Scott County, daughter of Obed and
Elizabeth (Linsly) Calvert. She is a distant relative of the noted James
brothers--Frank and Jesse. Ten children have blessed this union: John T.,
who married Josie Parker of Franklin County, daughter of W. and J. (Clubb)
Parker (they had three children: Guy, Ola and May); Spencer O., who married
Lizzie Parker a sister of John T.'s wife; William P., who married Lizzie
Anderson, of Scott County, daughter of Uriah and Sarah (Johnson) Anderson,
and had one child, Norman; Alice, married to M. Forwood of Scott County,
son of Alfred and Mary J. (Thornsbery) Forwood, and had one child, Lillie;
Bettie, twin of Alice; Sallie, Walter, Mary, Kate and Mattie. Mr. and Mrs.
Wigginton are members of the Baptist Church together with their children:
Alice, Bettie, Sallie, Mary and Walter. John T. and Spencer O.
are members of the Christian Church. Milton Wigginton is a Master Mason of
Lodge No. 203. As a squire he is popular, always endeavoring to cultivate
the spirit of friendship and compromise between litigants; a gentleman of
pleasing manners, and a great favorite with all who know him.

#4270: Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 5th
ed., 1887, Franklin Co. REV. J. McCLUSKY BLAYNEY, D.D., was born in Ohio
County, Va. His father, Charles Blayney, a successful farmer, was born in
Ireland, came to this country at the age of twelve years, and was from a
branch of the Lord Blayney family of Castle Blayney, Monaghan County,
whose succession is given in Burke's peerage of England back to 1598, when
Sir Edward Blayney accompanied the Earl of Essex to England, and was
elevated to the peerage, July 29, 1627. His mother's name was Nancy
Faris, a descendant of an old Virginia family. J. McClusky Blayney
entered the classical academy at West Alexander, Penn., at the age of
thirteen years, entered college at Washington, Penn., in 1857, and
graduated in 1860; entered Western Theological Seminary, Alleghany, Penn.,
the same year; was licensed to preach in 1862, and graduated in 1863. He
preached one year at Ontario, Ohio, and was recalled by his presbytery to
Virginia and took charge of the Presbyterian Church at Charleston, Kanawha
County. In 1867 he removed to Frankfort, Ky., and preached there two
years; was called to the First Presbyterian Church at Albany, N. Y., and
removed to that city in 1869; received the honorary degree of D. D. from
Union University in 1877, resigned at Albany in 1880 and went abroad;
traveled in Europe and this country until 1884; returned to Frankfort, Ky.,
at the beginning of that year, and took charge of the First Presbyterian
Church there. He was married, on November 3, 1870, to Lucy Weisinger
Lindsey, a daughter of Thomas N. Lindsey, a prominent lawyer of Frankfort.
This lady died February 28, 1881, at Mentone, France. The Rev. Dr. has two
sons, T. Lindsey, born at Lebanon, Ky., December 3, 1873, and J. McClusky,
born in Albany, N. Y., May 3, 1878.

Col. Sandi Gorin, 205 Clements,Glasgow, KY 42141
(270) 651-9114 - E-fax (707)222-1210 - e-mail:
Member: Glasgow-Barren Co Chamber of Commerce
Barren Co:

This thread: