KYBOURBO-L Archives

Archiver > KYBOURBO > 1998-12 > 0913662906

From: "Beverly BOLES" <>
Subject: [KYBOURBO-L] HOUSTON FAMILY
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:15:06 -0500

Is anyone researching the HOUSTON family of Bourbon County? We are trying
to find a connection between Sam HOUSTON, of Texas fame, and the Chief of
the Texas Cherokee, Chief BOWLES, aka " Diwa'li."
The Chief & Sam HOUSTON were good friends, and possibly Sam HOUSTON married
one of his daughters. We also know the Chief was a neighbor and longtime
friend with a member of the STONE family
In trying to find members of all these families together in any period of
time, it looks like Cane Ridge would be the place. The HOUSTON names that
I found in the booklet, "Cane Ridge Bicentennial Sampler" include James,
Nancy, Mourning, Samuel A., Abner, Sally, Mary Brown, & Joanah. (next to
Mourning HOUSTONS name is the word Indians in parenthesis.) These were all
members of Cane ridge Church, June, 1838. By 1838, most of the BOWLES
family had left Bourbon County, but in the early years of Cane Ridge Meeting
House, Jesse BOWLES & his father David BOWLES were active in the church.

Chief BOWLES was born 1756, died 1836 in Texas. It is thought his father
was white, and mother was either Cherokee or Choctaw. Supposedly his
father was killed by whites, and this would have been before 1796. Other
names that married into the BOWLES family of Bourbon County, were PARKER,
SANDUSKY, BAYLES, GRINSTEAD, THOMAS, MORRIS, HALL, PAYNE. If anyone has any
information on the HOUSTON family, or the BOWLES family, that may have been
connected to the Chief or Sam HOUSTON, please let me know.
Thanks, Bev Boles

This thread: