KYBOURBO-L Archives

Archiver > KYBOURBO > 2002-09 > 1031170628

From: Bob Francis <>
Subject: [KYBOURBO-L] Thomas Ravenscraft, part two
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:18:26 -0500

Note from Jim Sellars: I saw the muster roll for Capt. Ravenscraft in a book
about the Battle of Thames. According to the book his company was in the
battle. From what I remember, these are some of your family who were in the
company.
Capt. Thomas Ravenscraft
Lt. Samuel Hinkson
3rd Corporal Thomas Ravenscraft
Private John Hinkson
----------------
Transcripts from Pension files for Thomas Ravenscraft
Document #1:
File # 5085
Kentucky
Thomas Ravenscraft--private
Virginia line--3 yrs.
In the Army of the United States during the Revolutionary War.
Inscribed on the Roll of Kentucky at the rate of 8 Dollars per month, to
commence on the 12 of August 1818
Certificate of Pension issued the 24th of Dec 1818 and sent to the Hon. R.
M. Johnson H. Representatives, M, States
Arrears to 4th of Sept. 1818--20/31 & 4/30 mos. $6.22
Semi-anl. all¹ce ending 4th month 1819. $48.00
(Total) $54.22
{Revolutionary claim Act 18th March, 1818}
Harrison County
Handwritten notes:
1870 Dec. Hon. G. Davis as to payt having been drop¹d under act May 1,
1820--
1871 (About??) 27 L.C. Draper--history (scribbled initials illegible)
----------------
Pension file document #2:
Letter included in file dated November 16 1855. At the top of the letter is
written: ³Newton Jasper Co. Ills.²
The letter reads as follows:

Commissioner of Pensions
Dear Sir,
Between 15 and 20 years ago Congress donated some money & lands to Thomas
Ravenscraft or his heirs (I do not know which) for services as Captain in
the Revolutionary War. He or his heirs at the time the grant was made lived
in the neighborhood of Richard M. Johnson, Ky., and is mainly through his
influence the grant was made. Now in if you will be kind enough to inform
me whether all the money was drawn and where the land lies I will be
your humble servant, &c
A. M. Peterson
--------------
Pension document #3:
Pension office, Nov. 27, 1837
I hereby certify that I have examined the claim of the Heirs of the late
Thomas Ravenscraft, who was a Lieutenant during the Revolutionary War in the
Virginia State Regiment commanded by Col. George R. Clark, called the
Illinois regiments; that he served until the termination of hostilities;
that he died in the year 1827 in Kentucky; that the case is embraced by the
provisions of the act of July 5, 1832, entitled ³An Act to Provide for the
liquidating and paying certain claims of the State of Virginia; that the
claim should therefore be allowed at the rate of One Hundred and Sixty
Dollars per annum from the twenty second of April seventeen hundred and
eighty-three, when the war terminated, to the twenty seventh day of May
eighteen hundred and twenty-seven, the Day of his death; and that the amount
is payable to William H. Todd, attorney of Humphrey Hinkson, administrator
with the annexed, of said Thomas Ravenscraft,-dec¹d.
Approved {Entered} commissioner of Pensions
-----------------
Pension document #4:
State of Kentucky
On this 12th day of August 1818 before me the Subscriber one of the Circuit
Judges for the Commonwealth aforesaid personally appeared Thomas Ravenscraft
Sen. aged about 64 years resident in Harrison County in the said State who
being by me first duly sworn according to law doth make the following
declaration in order to obtain the provision made by the late act of
Congress entitled an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land
and naval services by the United States in the revolutionary war. That he
enlisted at Pittsburgh in the State of Pennsylvania in the company
(illegible) by Capt. John Stevenson of the 8th Virginia regiment commonly
called the German Regiment because it was commanded by Genl Muhlenburgh on
the Continental establishment. That the period of his first enlistment in
said company was in the year 1775 where he remained for about one year and
then joined the 13th Regiment under a Captain Bell which was also of the
Continental line, in which latter company he remained a soldier for about
three years, & then was promoted to an Ensign, & that he continued in the
American service as an Ensign for about four months when he received the
promotion of a Lieutenant in the Light Horse service under Gen. George
Rogers Clarke to the Falls of the Ohio in the year 1787, when he was taken
prisoner by the Indians at the Battle usually called Floyd¹s Defeat, That
after being so captured he was taken by the British & the Indians to Detroit
where he remained a prisoner of war for about two years and then released at
the general exchanges of prisoners at the close of the war--That during his
whole period of service aforesaid he was in the Battle of Sullivan¹s Island
and afterwards in the Battle of Guiahawga on Big Beaver near Pittsburgh in
Capt. Bell¹s company of the 13th Virginia Regt during which time he received
several wounds and at Floyd¹s Defeat was tomahawked by the Indians on the
head of the effects of which latter wound he has never since recovered. That
from his reduced circumstances in life he stands in need of assistance from
his country for support and that he has no other evidence now in his power
of his said services--

Sworn to and declared before me the day of year aforesaid--
John Trimble

I John Trimble Judge of the Circuit Court for Harrison County in the State
of Kentucky do certify that it appears to my satisfaction that the above
named Thomas Ravenscraft did serve in the Revolutionary War.
---------------
Pension document #5:
Pension Office
December 12, 1838

In the settlement of the claim under the act of the 5th July 1832, of the
Heirs of Thomas Ravenscraft, dec¹d in November 1837 half-pay was allowed for
his services as a Lieutenant of Infantry, as it was not known when the claim
was allowed. That he belonged to the Dragoons. A claim is now presented
for the amount of the difference between the half-pay of a Lieutenant of
Infantry, and that of a Lieutenant of Cavalry; and the satisfactory proof
having been produced that he was a Lieutenant of Cavalry, I certify that the
claim should in my opinion be admitted; that the administration is therefore
entitled to an additional sum on account of said service, viz. Forty Dollars
per annum, from the twent-second of April seventeen hundred and eighty
three, when the war ended, to the twenty-seventh of April eighteen hundred
and twenty seven, when said Ravenscraft died, and that the same is payable
to William H. Todd, attorney of Humphrey Hinkson, administrator of Thomas
Ravenscraft, dec¹d. Approved.

Commissioner of Pensions
Secretary of War
----------------
Pension document #6:
State of Kentucky Harrison County January Court 1825.

The following declaration and schedule was produced and sworn to in open
court and ordered to be recorded in the Words and figures following, towit,
Commonwealth of Kentucky Harrison County Set on this 10th day of January
1825. Personally appeared in open court being a court of record for the
County afsd. Thomas Ravenscraft resident in sd. County aged 68 years in July
last who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the
following declaration in order to obtain the provision made by the acts of
the 18th day of March 1818 the 1st May 1820 & the 1st March 1823; that he
the sd. Thomas Ravenscraft enlisted for the term of three years on the
day of May as well as he can now remember in the year 1777. in the State of
Pennsylvania, in the Company commanded by Capt. Robert Bell, in the regiment
commanded by Col. Russell in the line of the State of Virginia on the
Continental Establishment that he continued to serve in the Corps until the
expiration of the time of his enlistment afsd., towit, May, 1780. When he
was discharged from the sd. service at Pittsburgh in the sd. State of
Pennsylvania and I do solemnly Swear that I was a resident citizen of the
United States on the 18th day of March 1818 and that I have not since time
by gift, sale or in any manner disposed of my property or any part thereof
with intent thereby so to diminish it as to bring myself within the
provisions of an act of Congress entilted an act to provide for certain
persons engaged in the land and naval service of the United States in the
Revolutionary War passed on the 8th day of March 1818, and that I have not
nor has any person in Trust for me any property or securities, contracts or
debts due to me, nor have I any income other than what is contained in the
Schedule hereunto annexed by me subscribed. Thomas Ravenscraft

Schedule
Nothing. Nothing. And he further made oath that his family consisted of
himself & wife who lived with their children & upon their County. That he
was almost disabled from labour by age & infirmity and his wife not enabled
to do much Given under my hand this 10th January 1825. Thos. Ravenscraft

State of Kentucky Harrison County
I Henry C. Moore clerk of the county court in & for the county aforesaid do
hereby testify that the forgoing Declaration & Schedule of Thou at (end of
document)

-- WARNING: unless specifically claimed otherwise, anything that you send to
me of an historical or genealogical nature I will consider open for use to
help others. In other words: don't send it if you don't want me to use
it.--Bob Francis

This thread: