KYCLAY-L Archives

Archiver > KYCLAY > 2002-02 > 1012790295

Subject: Re: [KYCLAY] Transmission Line Easement - Lewis, Martin, Benge, Potter, Boston
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 21:38:15 EST

In a message dated 2/3/02 7:57:20 PM Central Standard Time, writes:

> Ed, Do you have any children for William Martin and Evaline Benge? My Great
> Grandmother was Elizabeth Martin married Thomas Downey. Information on the
> Downey shows that lived in Clay CO at one time. They married in 1874 in Knox
> Co. KY. Her birth date is August, 07, 1854 in KY. Have found no information
> on her family. Only information on marriage record is the year of the
> marriage and that it was in the home of a Henry Martin.
> Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.
> Kay G. Adams
> Middlesboro, KY

RESPONSE:
GENERATION NO 1
Thomas Martin was born 1810 Tennessee. He married Elizabeth Jane Biggs. She
was buried at Martin Cemetery Clay County, Kentucky.

Children of Thomas Martin and Elizabeth Jane Biggs are:
i. William "Billy" Martin was born 1831 Tennessee died April 3, 1896 Clay
County, Kentucky. Buried Old Martin Cemetery. He married Evaline Benge
September 4, 1849 Clay County, Kentucky. She was born February 1, 1831 Clay
County, Kentucky and died February 2, 1918 Clay County, Kentucky. She was the
daughter of John David "Jackie" Benge and Philadelphia Ann "Delphia" Harrison
Hart. He was buried Old Martin Cemetery.
ii. John N. Martin was born September 13, 1836 Tennessee and died October 3,
1898 Jackson County, Kentucky. He married Amanda J. Mitchell September 8,
1857 New Albany, Floyd County, Indiana.

Generation No 2
William "Billy" Martin (Thomas Martin) was born 1831 Tennessee and died April
3, 1896 Clay County, Kentucky. He married Evaline Benge September 4, 1849
Clay County, Kentucky. She was born February 1, 1831 Clay County, Kentucky
and died February 2, 1918 Clay County, Kentucky. Both are buried Old Martin
Cemetery. She was the daughter of John David "Jackie" Benge and Philadelphia
Ann "Delphia" Harrison Hart.

Marriage Notes for William Martin and Evaline Benge:
Clay County Marriage Index Book I 1807-1859 compiled by Clay County
Genealogical and Historical Society. William Martin married Eveline Benge 4
Sept 1849.

Notes:
From the publication Compiled by James E. Welch, Sr.

1850 Clay Co. Kentucky Census
Family #676
John Benge, 53, M, NC, Farmer, $900 value of property, married Philadelphia,
Hart on 1-9-1817 Clay Co., KY, Delpha, 50 F, TN, Malvina, 14 F, James, 9, M,
Virginia, 7, F, William Martin, 19, M, married Eveline Benge on 9-4-1849 Clay
Co., KY, Evaline Martin 18, F.

1860 Clay County Kentucky Census compiled by James E. Welch, Sr. Household 887
William Martin age 28 TN Farmer 800 300, Eveline age 26 Clay, Thomas age 9
Clay, John W. age 7 Clay, Franklin age 6 Clay, David age 4 Clay, James
age 2 Clay, Delpha Benge age 65 TN,
Neighbors: William Bennett; David Benge; Addison Bowlin; James Ivy

1870 Clay County Census compiled by James E. Welch, Sr. , Precinct 2
Household 18 (Precinct #2)
Neighbors: David Benge; John Benge; Thomas Napier; Adam Bolin; John How
Martin William 39 M W Farmer 1,600 300 Kentucky
Martin Evoline 38 F W housekeeper Kentucky
Martin John W 16 M W works on farm Kentucky
Martin Doctor F 15 M W works on farm Kentucky
Martin David 13 M W works on farm Kentucky
Martin Jane 12 F W at home Kentucky
Martin James 10 M W works on farm Kentucky
Martin Benjamin 9 M W Kentucky
Martin George 6 M W Kentucky
Martin Ellen 5 F W Kentucky
Martin Robert 2 M W Kentucky
Martin Thomas 20 M W Farmer 800 300 Kentucky

1880 Clay County Kentucky Census complied by James E. Welch, Sr. Pigeon Roost
Magistrate 5, Household 238-263 ED #23, sheet 29, line 24.
Marton, William age 48 L TTT, Evaline age 47 W KTK, Benjamin age 17 S KTK,
George age 15 S KTK, Ellen age 13 D KTK, Robert age 10 S KTK, Lucy age 7 D
KTK, Alice age 6 D KTK, Sylvanie age 1 D KTK
Neighbors: William Porter; Blevins Bowlin: James Marton [Martin]; Thomas
Marton [Martin]; David Marton [Martin]; James Bowling; David Benge

1900 US census, Clay Co, KY, ED #29, sheet 24, line 77, family #394/396, Mag
dist #2 Cornett's, Evaline is the mother of 13 children, 12 are living. She
is 65 years old and widowed.

1910 US Census, Clay Co, KY, Dripping Springs, #257. 'Emaline' Martin, age
80, widowed, is the mother of 13 children, 8 living.

The first time William is found in Clay County, Kentucky was 1847 purchasing
items at an estate sale of Robin Cornett. Evidence from the vital records
Alice listing father's birth place as Hawkins County, Tennessee. Evaline's
parents are John "Jackie" Benge and Philadelphia Ann Harrison Hart.

The 3 McFadden's are brother & sisters. Some of Ellen and Henry's children
went
to Oklahoma. Sarah Jane and Isaac Newton House went to Kansas about 1881 then
to Oklahoma which was IT-Indian Territory-Oklahoma was not a state until
1907. In April 1900 they signed a deed in Kay County. June 1900 when census
was taken they were in Osage County. Alice and Simon S.P. were also on IT
1900 census living with his brother and wife. Alice died August 30, 1903
Oklahoma Territory and is buried with an infant died August 28, 1903. They
are buried at Grey Horse Cemetery, Grey Horse, Oklahoma. The cemetery is
thought to be for Indians only but, it is not. Simon was born Kansas. Robert
Potter and Nannie have children buried there also. They are buried close to
Alice. Nannie is buried in Fairfax Cemetery, Fairfax, Oklahoma and Robert is
buried in Bartlesville.

Charles Louis Martin Sr. was on 1910 census Oklahoma living with Robert
Potter Martin & family. He went back to Clay County, Kentucky married Mary
Frances Muncy 1914. They moved back to Oklahoma 1926.

Children of William Martin and Evaline Benge are:
i. Thomas J. Martin was born January 1851 Clay County, Kentucky and died
March 20, 1929 Clay Co. Kentucky. He married Ann Eliza Philpot. She was born
November 1849 Clay County, Kentucky and died 1924 Clay County, Kentucky.
Buried Old Martin Cemetery.
ii. John W. Martin was born February 9, 1853 Clay County, Kentucky and died
Clay County, Kentucky. He married Julie A. Moore. She was born October 1852
Kentucky and died Kentucky. Both are buried Martin's Cemetery, Clay County,
Kentucky. She was the daughter of Thomas Moore and Sarah "Sallie" McFadden.
iii. Dock Franklin "Frank" Martin was born October 8, 1854 Clay County,
Kentucky and died November 16, 1943 Clay County, Kentucky. He was buried Old
Martin Cemetery. He married (1) Nancy Ann Cupp April 16, 1876 Clay County,
Kentucky. She was born March 17, 1853 Claiborne County, Tennessee and died
May 11, 1919 Clay County, Kentucky. She was buried Old Martin Cemetery. She
was the daughter of Charles L. Cupp was born 1815 in Claiborne County,
Tennessee and died about 1864 Claiborne County, Tennessee and Mary Elizabeth
Owsley was born between 1807 and 1810 in Tennessee. (2) Polley Sawyers. She
was born July 9, 1895 and died October 9, 1984 Clay County, Kentucky. Doc is
buried Old Martin Cemetery. Nancy is buried Old Martin Cemetery.
iv. David "Dave" Martin was born August 18, 1856 Clay County, Kentucky. He
married Rachel A. Cottengim. She was born about March 1859 Kentucky and died
November 5, 1921 Clay County, Kentucky.
v. Sarah Jane Martin was born May 28, 1858 Clay County, Kentucky. She married
Isaac Newt House. He was born March 30, 1857 Clay County, Kentucky and died
1924.
vi. James "Jim" Martin was born July 1860 Clay County, Kentucky and died 1904
Clay County, Kentucky. He was buried Hampton & Martin Cemetery. He married
Angeline McFadden. She was born about 1861 Kentucky and died February 16,
1944 Portersburg, Clay County, Kentucky.
vii. Benjamin "Ben" B. Martin was born June 6, 1862 Clay County, Kentucky and
died March 13, 1929 Laurel County, Kentucky. Buried Pine Hill Cemetery. He
married Martha McFadden. She was born April 8, 1864 Kentucky and died January
16, 1943 Laurel County, Kentucky. She was buried Pine Hill Cemetery.
viii. George Martin was born about 1863. Died young.
ix. Ellen Martin was born April 18, 1865 Clay County, Kentucky and died
November 24, 1932 Laurel County, Kentucky. She married Henry McFadden. He
was born about 1864 and died December 22, 1885 Kentucky.
x. Robert "Bob" Potter Martin was born February 28, 1869 Clay County,
Kentucky and died May 15, 1945 Bartlesville, Washington County, Oklahoma.
Buried Fairfax Cemetery, Fairfax, Oklahoma. He married Nannie Belle Garland.
She was born December 9, 1882 Kentucky and died February 4, 1974 Oklahoma.
Buried Fairfax Cemetery, Fairfax, Oklahoma.
xi. Lucy Belle Martin was born May 10, 1871 Clay County, Kentucky and died
February 9, 1961 Cumberland, Harlan County, Kentucky. She married (1) Ira
Peters. He was born January 19, 1861 in Greenbriar, Clay County, Kentucky and
died January 10, 1908 Marydell, Laurel County, Kentucky. (2) Tom J. Johnson
xii. Alice T. Martin was born August 8, 1874 Clay County, Kentucky and died
August 30, 1903 Osage County, Oklahoma. Buried Greyhorse Cemetery, Greyhorse,
Oklahoma. She married Simon S. P. Dodson. He was born September 1890 Kansas.
xiii. Sylvania Martin was born November 11, 1878 Clay County, Kentucky and
died 1957. She married (1) Richard Benge. He was born August 1875 Kentucky.
(2) Yancy Thacker. He was born 1887.

John N. Martin (Thomas Martin) was born September 13, 1836 Tennessee and died
October 3, 1898 Jackson County, Kentucky. He married Amanda J. Mitchell
September 8, 1857 New Albany, Floyd County, Indiana. She is buried Martin
Cemetery Clay County, Kentucky.

1870 Clay County, Kentucky census
Martin John N 33 M W Farmer 200 145 Tennessee
Martin Manda J 28 F W housekeeper Indiana
Martin Barberry J 10 F W at home Indiana
Martin Manerva 3 F W Indiana
Martin William A 4/12 M W Kentucky Feb

1890 Special Census
John N. Martin of Bush's Store. That was in Laurel County, I believe. He was
a Private in Company M of the 8th Indiana Cavalry. Enlisted 12-28-63, &
discharged 7-20-65, serving 2 years 5 months & 8 days.

Children of John N. Martin and Amanda J. Mitchell are:
i. Barbara Janett Martin was born 1859 Indiana and died 1911 Clay County,
Kentucky. She married John W. Hodge March 3, 1879 Clay County, Kentucky.
ii. Manerva Jane Martin was born 1867. She married James Philpot June 12,
1884. He was born December 20, 1856 Clay County, Kentucky.
iii. William Andrew Martin was born 1870.

This thread: