KYCLAY-L Archives

Archiver > KYCLAY > 2009-05 > 1243743925

From: "Diane Jones" <>
Subject: Re: [KYCLAY] [Bolling5] James B Bowlin marriage to Sarah Smith,23 Jul 1880, KY
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:25:25 -0500

After further checking, I'm sure that James B. Bowlin who married Sarah Smith is NOT the son of William Bowlin & Almira Hays after all. The J.B. Bowlin who is the son of William & Almira gave a deposition on the widow's pension application on Robert Burns, his deceased step-father. Robert Burns married Almira Hays Bowlin after her 1st husband William Bowlin died in 1858. Apparently, Robert Burns married or was living with another woman, Harriet Dickson, while Almira was still living. It was this Harriet who was trying to obtain Robert's pension. It's a really mixed up story. Anyway, when J.B. Bowlin gave the deposition in 1897, he was living in Whitley Co., KY. He said he was a school teacher. He said his mother (Almira) died at his house when he lived on Otter Creek in Clay Co., KY (I think this was about 1883). Almira was an epileptic. This James B. Bowlin was also known as Buck Bowlin. Attorney in pension case said in a report that J.B. Buck Bowlin was the same man that was sent to prison in Nashville by U.S. Courts for "forgery or other crooked work in pension claims". The attorney thought Buck Bowlin was still in prison when this report was written in 1902.

Here is the estate record of William Bowlin, Almira Hays Bowlin's husband:
Clay County, Kentucky Will Book Abstracts, with Executor, Administrator and Guardian Bonds, Appraisements, Sale Bills and Settlements, Volume 1 --December 10, 1830 to March 8, 1854; Volume 2 -- March 6, 1855 to July 26, 1889 by Tom R. Walters, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Reference #976.9145, P28w:
p. 65
218-19) Appraisement and Sale Bill of William Bowlin, December 17, 1858. Estate items are listed. Appraisers were William Sibert and Pierce Cottongim. Estate items were sold to: Clabe Hacker, Jas. W. Reid, Dr. Wm. Reid, John G. Gilbert, John Green, T. T. Garrard, Almira Bowlin, Edward Gibson, Dick Lovens, Jas. Gibson, M. G. Horton, C. T. Hays, M. G. Horton was Administrator. Recorded by Clerk, G. W. Price on January 28, 1860.
-
I think this puts to rest my previous theory that James Bowlin who married Sarah Smith and moved to Idaho & Washington state was the son of William Bowlin & Almira Hays - it appears to not be the case. Still don't know who the parents really are of James Bowlin who married Sarah Smith.

I did find a bit of information on James Bowlin & Sarah Smith. Her father was Hugh Smith. James & Sarah are supposed to have had 3 children named John, Prudence and Amelia.

Diane