KYHART-L Archives

Archiver > KYHART > 2003-02 > 1046381272

Subject: Fwd: [KYHART] BROOKS-DAVIS family
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:27:52 EST

--part1_25.34ff592c.2b8fdcd8_boundary

I have scant notes on William Brooks, and I have several other William
Brooks, but they don't fit thks time line and none were married to John
Harvey. I have so many Brooks, and the naming pattern in the family makes
it hard to keep track of which one you are dealing with.
The William mentioned below was :William2 Brooks, born 1776 in Prince Edward
Co, VA. He married Rhoda (VanMeter) Brooks.I have no issue listed for him,
I don't think... I'm still searching.

Notes from Barren County, KY Records (Glasgow, KY) are currently held:
Book 1
p. 307 Inventory of Estate of John Brooks October 27, 1815, signed W.
Richardson, Amos Smith, Thomas Woodson Book, 1 p. 356
(This inventory was received and ordered recorded on November 29, 1815. There
was a further estate inventory of his estate ordered recorded 20 May 1816)
Sale of Administrators

James Brooks, James Amos
Book 1 p. 482 Settlement on March 7, 1818 John Brooks, Sr.
signed Phillip Maxey, Richard Manford, Wm. Orchard
(This report of settlement of the Administrators was reported and ordered
recorded at the County Court meeting in April 1818.)
John Brooks is listed in the 1790 Census of 96 District, Spartenburg
County SC. The Census lists 4 males over 16, 3 males under 16, 2 females and
2 slaves in his household. John Brooks is on the tax rolls of Barren County,
KY in 1799.
It is said that he was the first land owner at Green River (later known as
Woodsonville), KY. He was an associate of Daniel Boone. Four sons - John,
James, George, and Miles - were listed in his estate. A fifth son, William,
is found on the tax rolls of Barren County in 1799, which lists him or 1, as
over 21, owned 100 acres in Green River and three horses. This would make him
born 1778 or before. On the same 1799 tax list John Brooks had 53 acres Green
River, 3 white above 21, and 1 white above 16. (They only listed males at
that time.) John also had two blacks above 16 and 11 horses. Then in 1800
John had added another 100 acres, which was entered in William Brooks' name.

The information above regarding John Brooks and Barren County comes from
Brooks Family Records collected by Lucile Hart Wagner and was passed to me by
Kenneth McCracken through Pat Torrez.

Neta

--part1_25.34ff592c.2b8fdcd8_boundary