KYJOHNSON-HISTORY-L Archives

Archiver > KYJOHNSON-HISTORY > 2004-02 > 1077264937

Subject: [JoKY] Re: Looking for info on Lindsey Spears
Date: 20 Feb 2004 01:15:37 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/BBB.2ACE/4497.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Lindsey Spears-my great grandfather, was the son of Wiley Marion Spears and Elizabeth Artie Butcher this info was given to me from my grandmother Maggie May Mollett Spears who was married to Joe Spears (son of Lindsey Spears and Louisa Blevins Spears) Below is a copy of the 1870, 1880, and 1900 census

1870 census Johnson County census/transcribed by Kaylene Lowe

30 Adam CRUM 64 M W Farmer KY
Elizabeth (SPEARS nee BUTCHER) 40 F W ( m Mar 14 1860) VA
James W CRUM 12 M W Work on Farm KY
Martin SPEARS 17 M W Work on Farm KY
( b 14 Feb 1859 Jo Co Ky parents Wiley SPEARS & Elizabeth BUTCHER) jvs
Lisey B L SPEARS 13 M W ( Linsey SPEARS b abt 1854) KY

1880 federal census ( Census Place Greasey, Johnson, Kentucky Family History Library Film 1254425 NA Film Number T9-0425 Page Number 187B.

Linsey B. SPEAR Self M Male W 26 KY KY KY
Louisa SPEAR Wife M Female W 20 KY KY KY
Mary SPEAR Dau S Female W 4 KY KY KY
Nancy SPEAR Dau S Female W 2 KY KY KY
Zilpha SPEAR Dau S Female W 4M KY KY KY

1900 federal census (U. S. Federal Census for 1900 for Lindsey Spears, Census Microfilm Records: Kentucky, 1900 Lived in: 2 District, Johnson County, Kentucky Series: T623 Microfilm: 534 Book: 1 Page: 170.

SPEARS, Lindsay Head Jul 1853 46 M 25 KY KY KY Farmer
Louisa wife Apr 1857 43 M 25 KY KY KY
Moses Son May 1884 16 S KY KY KY Farmer
Viola Dghtr Jan 1887 13 S KY KY KY School
Joseph Son Apr 1888 12 S KY KY KY Farmer
ISAAC Son Jul 1890 9 S KY KY KY School
Jacob Son Feb 1896 4 S KY KY KY

they were in the 1910 census and the 1920 census, however Lindsey Spears died April 6, 1926 in Johnson County, Ky age at time of death was 76. ( KY Social Security death Index for Lindsey Spears, Volume: 32 Certificate: 15663)

Elizabeth Butcher was first married to Wiley Marion Spears, see 1850 census for Johnson County, Ky transcribed by Kaylene Lowe shown below:

564 SPEARS Wiley M 24 Farmer KY
(Wiley SPEARS d Mar 1859 of Consumption parents Thomas & ? SPEARS) jvs
(BUTCHER) Elizabeth 23 ( m 12 Dec 1846 Johnson Co Ky) KY
SPEARS Francis J 2 KY
SPEARS Arta 12-Jun KY

after Wiley Marion Spears died she married for a second time Adam Crum in 1860. Once you get to this point the rest is fairly simple for Lindsey Spears, however, the Easter Jemima Arta LouCinda Emmaline Blevins, gets very complicated. Linsey B. L. Spears first married Mahala Jane Ward, daughter of Hiram Ward and Mary Polly Johnson, it appears that she died between 1870 and 1880. Johnson County marriage records have her marrying Linsey Spears in 1871. However, by the 1880 census Louisa is shown to be the second wife of Linsey Spears. According to Billie Edyth Ward, author of the WARD a genealogical record of the Wards of Big Sandy, Gateway Press Inc., Baltimore Md 1999, pages 70 and 71 explain how Hiram Wards' step daughter......Louisa Blevins is the second wife of Linsey Spears, she is shown to be the daughter of Margaret Peggy Blevins. My father and grandmother both say she was a Bowling by birth, however, Margaret Peggy Blevins never married her father, instead she ma!
rried a Blevins and to be honest im still looking to see if I can find any info regarding Margaret Peggys marriage to ? Blevins, but according to family gossip, Louisa took the name of Blevins and her natural father is unknown other than the rumor that her father was a Bowling who never married her mother. Another part of the gossip is that Louisa had another sister name unknown, and a brother.......his name William J. Blevins supposedly a Bowling as well. My grandmother said she had a brother named Jacob Bowling, not sure if William J. Blevins is one and the same or not..........as I said, the Louisa part gets very complicated and Im not sure if I have it completely figured out, but with family stories and what info I have attained, Im hoping someone can take this information and maybe we can all get past the Louisa Spears issue. The Linsey Spears side is there in black and white, and is correct. Hope this helps you out

This thread: