KYKNOX-L Archives

Archiver > KYKNOX > 1999-11 > 0943219126

From: Joyce Collins <>
Subject: [KYKNOX] CORNELIUS TAYLOR
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 16:18:46 -0500

RESPONSE: Sorry for the delay in responding. I am trying to get ready
to leave town. Will be in Ohio visiting my Mother from Nove. 25 through
Dec. 8. Will be signing off Mail Lists soon. However, in response to
your question, I have NO knowledge whatsoever that there was a son,
Benjamin TAYLOR, attached to my Cornelius and Sarah Ann "Sally" WALKER
TAYLOR. There was another Cornelius TAYLOR, Harrision TAYLOR, Alexander
TAYLOR, Mary Ann TAYLOR, Alabama TAYLOR, Isaac TAYLOR and others (almost
the same naming pattern) who are related to the Jacob Isacc TAYLOR family
of Laurel Co. Later Jacob Issac is on the Knox Co. Census living with
his son, Claiborne TAYLOR. It is my beleive that there is some
relationship between my gg-grandfather, Cornelius Alexander TAYLOR , and
this Jacob Isaac TAYLOR. At this time, I have no knowledge of what, if
any, that relationship is.

Here are the children of Cornelius Alexander TAYLOR and Sarah Ann "Sally"
WALKER TAYLOR. All these names come from a Taylor Family Bible record as
well as substantiations from the early Knox Co., and on Census Records,
marriage records, etc.

Husband: Cornelius Alexander TAYLOR
Born: 1794 Wythe Co., VA
Married: March 10, 1814 Knox Co.
Died: March 27, 1874 - at his home off Alex Creek, in Knox Co., KY; buried
off Alex Creek, at Stinking Creek, Knox Co., KY
Father: David TAYLOR - - old record ascertains - no proof - - not proven
by me. Not sure I beleive this. i think it was a William TAYLOR
Mother: Mary M. BLEVINS - - old record statements - no proof - not proven
by me. Not sure I beleive this.

Wife: Sarah Ann "Sally" WALKER
Born: Oct. 18, 1795 in KY
Died: Aft. 1880 Knox Co. Fed. census in which she appears in home of her
son, Isaac TAYLOR
Father: John WALKER, b. 1770's, appears first on 1803 Knox Co. Tax Lists
Mother: Lucy UNK. - - no other knowledge of this person

Children of Cornelius and Sally WALKER TAYLOR:

l. Mary Ann TAYLOR
Born: January 18, 1815 in Knox Co., Ky
Married: october 28, 1830 in Knox Co., KY
Died: 1893 in Knox Co., KY
Spouse: James Henry WARREN II, s/o of Jame Henry WARREN of VA. James H.
WARREN II died during Civil WAR.

2. Nelson TAYLOR
Born: May 23, 1817 Knox Co., KY
Married: February 1, 1838 in Harlan Co. KY
Died: bet. 1870 - 1879 probably in Knox Co., KY
Spouse: OunceyBelle RICE, dau. of Stephen RICE and a WOOLUM

3. Clara TAYLOR
Born: December 22, 1819 in Knox Co. KY
Married: (1) nov. 24, 1838 to a Jefferson WRIGHT in Knox Co., KY. Four
children born. Shown alone on the 1850 Knox Co. Married (2) to Ambrose
MESSER in 1855. Lived out majority of life in Clay Co. Both still
alive as of the 1900 Clay Co.
Died: Aft. 1900 Census

4. Mahala TAYLOR
Born: December 1, 1822 Knox Co. KY
Married: Dec. 1838 the first time to (1) William G. GAMBREL. Lasted 3
mo's. She returned home to Daddy. Divorced.
Married: 1845 to Bradley MEREDITH. Lived in Clay Co., KY. Bradley was
abt. 20 years older than Mahala. He apparently expired prior to the 1870
Fed. Census where she is shown as head of household with children.
Married (3) - to an Elijah SMITH, sometime aft. 1870 and divorced prior to
1880. In 1875 both she and Elijah are listed on a property transsfer
associated with the death of Cornelius a year before. On this property
transfer, Mahala is listed as Mahala SMITH and with a husband, Elijah SMITH
signing off. By 1880, she is shown again as a widow and headof household.
Marriage #4 - - In Knox Co. in 1895 there is a marriage for Mahala SMITH to
Elihue PAYNE. Elihue is 70. Mahala listed as 68. This is Elihue
PAYNE whose first wife was Mary VANNOY. She died. More confirmation
that this is Mahala TAYLOR is that in 1896, Mahala's son, James MEREDITH
marries in Dec. 1896. The marriage notations state that his mother is
Mahala PAYNE.
Neither Mahala nor Elihue appear on the Clay or Knox Co. 1900 Fed. Census.
Consensus might be that they both died bet. 1896-1900. No confirmation
of this.

5. Sarah TAYLOR
Born: May 12, 1825 in Knox Co., KY
Married; October 3, 1839 at Flat Lick, Knox Co., KY
Died: Abt. July 31, 1850 in Knox Co. - - most probably related to the
birth of her last child at that time.
Spouse: Clark "Big Clark" MILLS, s/o Nasby and Easter HADDOCK

6. William TAYLOR
Born: Dec. 22, 1827 at Knox Co., KY
Married
Died: Aft. 1827 - - Bible record says "died young"

7. Isaac "Ike" TAYLOR
Born: July 29, 1829 in Knox Co., KY
Married: February 11, 1847 in Knox Co., KY
Died: August 9, 1898 in Knox Co., KY
Spouse: Permelia Ann HAMMONS, dau. of Apsley MILLS and John HAMMONS. Also
had an "unofficial" family with children born. I have not fully
investigated this facet of his life. Simply know that it occurred.

8. Margaret TAYLOR
Born: December 2, 1832 at Mills, Knox Co., KY
Married: August 7, 1851 in Knox co., KY
Died: Unk.
Spouse: Clark "Big Clark" MILLS. After the death of his first wife and
sister to the younger margaret, Margaret m. Clark, raised her sister's
children plus had a large family of her own.

9. Harrison TAYLOR - - this is MY Great-Grandfather
Born: March 18, 1836 in Knox Co., KY
Married: Septembe3r 28, 1864 in either Clay or Knox Co., KY
Died: February 13, 1904 in Knox Co., KY - - was shot by Jess BROCK per
Family Bible Record, newspaper reports, etc.
Spouses: (1) Mary Ann HUTCHINS, b. 1844 in Harlan Co.; parents were John
HUTCHINS and Lourannah BIGGERSTAFF HUTCHINS from Rutherford Co., NC.
Migrated into harlan Co. and then into Clay Co. by 1850 where Mary shows as
a 6 yr. old on that census. Mary Ann HUTCHINS died on january 1, 1895;
Both she and harrison TAYLOR are buried off Alex Creek in the same "Upper
TAYLOR Cemetery" aka the TAYLOR-BROUGHTON Cemetery at Stinking Creek, Knox
Co., KY. In the fall of 1895, Harrision TAYLOR married a much younger
woman:
(2) Lucy HOWARD and had 3 additional chidlren: Lucy went on to married a
couple more times. She is buried in the Pineville Cem. under the name
CARMICHEAL.

10. Alexander TAYLOR
Born: Nov. 28, 1838 Knox Co. KY
Married: Abt. 1858 "without license, by preacher" marriage at Knox Co. to
a Lavina HOPKINS. Had a goodly number of children. Known records as a
'womanizer". Many undocumented children are his per various records.
Married : Summer of 1885 to amelia HUBBARD in Knox Co., KY. Supposedly
had 3 more chidlren .
Died: 1888 - July 27th - - was shot while working in his fields by Artor
NORTH. Buried at the Lower TAYLOR Cem. aka The HOPKINS Cem. or Home
Cemetery just below the Upper TAYLOR - - off Alex Creek at Stinking Creek.,
Knox Co., KY

11. Alabama "Bamma/Ally" Marthane Jane TAYLOR - - last born
Born: August 22, 1843 at Knox Co., Ky
Married: August 25, 1858 at Knox Co., Ky
Died: Aft. the 1920 Knox Co. Fed. Census where she appears still living at
the home of her grandson, Brice MILLS in Knox Co., KY
Spouse; Brice MILLS, nephew of Clark "Big Clark" MILLS.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA
Message text written by INTERNET:
>Joyce; How many children did Cornelius Alexander Taylor have and who are
they? I am trying to do research on him. ELizabeth Morgan married
Benjamin
Taylor and I believe he is said to be the son of Cornelius and Sarah
"Sally"
Walker.

Thanks,
Carol Wyatt