KYRUSSEL-L Archives

Archiver > KYRUSSEL > 2012-02 > 1329721482

From: "" <>
Subject: [KYRUSSEL] Henry Burris of Kentucky or Tennessee, Adair, Russell,Wayne
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:04:42 -0000

Author: fault_by_design
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.kentucky.counties.russell/3543/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hello I'm looking for info on a Henry Burris/Burress/Burriss
I'm not for sure if he was born in either Kenutcky Or Tennessee he was married twice the 1st to a Polly Gray and then a second to Mary Ann "Polly" Bond.

It's pretty confusing to me as to the children because of the 1900 census that places two Henry Burris's and Mary Anne's in two households at the same time of daughters i believe that were both theyrs. A Elizabeth "Lizzy" Richards and a Martha Ann Wilson in both residences the couple is recorded as being married in 1848.

My great great grandfather was George Richard Burris whom married Sophia G Gilpin both buried here in DeWitt County, Illinois. Whom is the son of Henry Burris and Mary "Polly" Bond. On his death record it says Polly "Sweetin" and that he was born in Adair County, however on a nursing home document (which im about to upload) it says he was born in Wayne County Kentucky and that his mother was Mary Ann "Polly" Bond.

A William Robert Burris was Born to a Henry Burris and a Mary "Polly" Boun or so its spelled on William Robert's death record.

Now on the 1860 census it states
Name: Henry Burress
Age in 1860: 39
Birth Year: abt 1821
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1860: Russell, Russell, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Post Office: Creelsboro
Value of real estate: View image
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry Burress 39
Mary Ann Burress 36
Martha Ann Burress 12
William Burress 11
Sarah Burress 8
Richard Burress 1

So there is a Martha Ann, William and Richard (George Richard my gg grandfather) all within a year or 2 of theyre ages.

Now onto the 1870 Census
Henry S Burress
Age in 1870: 47
Birth Year: abt 1823
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1870: East Fork, Metcalfe, Kentucky
Race: White
Gender: Male
Post Office: East Fork
Value of real estate: View image
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry S Burress 47
Mary A Burress 41
Wm R Burress 19
Sarah R Burress 17
George R Burress 11
Henry A Burress 8
Mary E Burress 4
Pamelia F Burress 4/12

Now as you can see Martha Ann is no longer in the household but William, Sarah and George Richard still are and also a Mary E. "Elizabeth" (whom i believe is Lizzie Richards)

Onto the 1880 census
Name: Henry Burris
Age: 58
Birth Year: abt 1822
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1880: Gradyville, Adair, Kentucky
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary Burris
Father's Birthplace: Virginia
Mother's Birthplace: Virginia
Neighbors: View others on page
Occupation: Farm Laborer
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry Burris 58
Mary Burris 51
George R. Burris 21
Henry Burris 17
Elizabeth Burris 15
Permeala F. Burris 10

Here William Robert is gone but George R. and Elizabeth are still here. I read an email that was posted on a genealogy.com profile page that a womans great great grandparents were a Lizzie and Warner Richards and that her parents were Henry Burress/burris and a Mary "Polly" Bond and went into alot of detail about Lizzie, and how they never EVER talked about her family as if she was shunned or somthing.

Now onto Martha A. Wilson, here death record says
Name: Martha A Wilson
[Martha A Harris]
Death Date: 16 Feb 1929
Death Location: Adair
Age: 80
Gender: Female
Ethnicity: White
Birth Date: 25 Mar 1848
Birth Location: Kentucky
Father's Name: Henry Harris
Father's Birth Location: Kentucky
Mother's Name: Pollie Bon
Mother's Birth Location: Kentucky

Well it's a transcription error and you can clearly see it's a "B" for Burris and not "H" for Harris especially if you use the zoom tool its the "y" in Henry that drops down kind making it look kinda like an "H" heres the link.
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=...

So it says Marthas mother was Polly Bon, William's Polly Boun and my George Richards Polly Bond and from the email Elizabeth's/Lizzie's Polly Bond all fathers being Henry Burris/Burress

Now onto the trouble making hair-ripping out censuses of 1900. The Lizzie Richards household.

Name: Henry H Burress
Age: 81
Birth Date: May 1819
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1900: Jamestown, Russell, Kentucky
[Russell]
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Father-in-law
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary A Burress
Marriage Year: 1848
Years Married: 52
Father's Birthplace: Kentucky
Mother's Birthplace: Kentucky
Household Members:
Name Age
Warren H Richards 37
Lizzie Richards 34
Nora D Richards 13
Marcus E Richards 9
Walter H Richards 6
Elbridge L Richards 1
Henry H Burress 81
Mary A Burress 70

In this on its Henry H. Not Henry S. but married in 1848 and living with Lizzie.
And now onto the other 1900 census

Name: Henry Burress
Age: 84
Birth Date: May 1816
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1900: White Oak, Adair, Kentucky
[Adair]
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary A Burress
Marriage Year: 1848
Years Married: 52
Father's Birthplace: Tennessee
Mother's Birthplace: Tennessee
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry Burress 84
Mary A Burress 77
Martha A Wilson 50
Daisy R Wilson 13
William W Wilson 10

Now this is the same year 1900 and in this census the elderly Henry Burress is the head of the household and also married in 1848 but is in Adair County not Russell County like the previous census record. and states that his father and mother were from Tennessee and not Kentucky like the previous record.

Any thoughts or info or insight?

Martha and Elizabeth were never in the same household by census records but were both at one time in the same household as William Robert, Sarah and George Richard. with all these children having Henry Burris/Buress as father and Mary "Polly" Bond or Bon or Boun as the mother awful big coincidence if you ask me with the mothers last name.

I'd rather not go bald before im 30 any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated....and if you are related to a George Richard Burris or a Sophia Godson Gilpin I found an old picture in my mothers attic of the both of them I uploaded it and its on my tree, Reita Jones Burress has another one she uploaded on here years back.

I thank you if you made it through this post I know it may be alot of info, look foward to hearing from you.

Important Note: