LAFORGE-L Archives

Archiver > LAFORGE > 2000-01 > 0947564202

From: "Gary Michael" <>
Subject: [LAFORGE] Leforgee Kentucky -Missouri Links
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:16:42 CST

My name is Gary Leforgee, notice another spelling variation. My link is
Abraham LeForge born 1740, Piscataway New Jersey. He immigrated to Fleming
County Kentucky, through Pennsylvania, and died in Flemingsburg, Ky. in
1803. He had a several children the oldest was Jesse LeForge born in 1775
in Fleming County, Ky. He had several "begats", mine traces through Abraham
born in 1812, married Martha Porter and had several children including John
Calvin LeForge born 11/11/1843 this was my Great Granddad. My John Calvin
LeForge and his brother Nathan P. LeForgee and (their cousin?) Milton S.
LeForge all served in Co. C., second Battalion, Kentucky Mounted Rifles CSA.
My problem is tracing Nathan P. Leforgee I know the Nathan P. was wounded
and captured in the battle of Cynthiana, but I have no trace after the war.
John Calvin married Sara Emmaline Money in 1867, Fleming County Kentucky and
in 1869 moved by covered wagon to Ray County, (Richmond) Missouri. Milton
S. Leforgee moved to Ray County (Orrick) Missouri also in 1869. The history
of Ray County, Mo. (1881) has Milton S. Leforgee born in 1840 and the son of
Nathan and Mary LeForge of Fleming County, Kentucky. Is this the Nathan
that was born in 1814, married Polly Strahan and the brother of Abraham. Or
was it Nathan C., born 1824 and the son of Ayres LeForge. (Probably not as
he would have been 16 when Milton was born). Also notice the spelling
change, I am aware that we seem to be very flexible on our spellings, but I
believe this was done on purpose to escape retaliations in post war
Kentucky. I'm pretty clear on everything after Abraham born in 1714 in
Piscataway, I believe his father was John LeForge. I'm new at this and am
pretty close to an informational overload. Feel like I am chasing my tail.
Anybody with any information that would help the solution and not fuel the
problem would be greatly appreciated.

Gary