LAIRD-L Archives

Archiver > LAIRD > 1996-12 > 0850717650

From: Al Weiss <>
Subject: another LAIRD introduction
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 01:27:30 EST

Holiday greetings to all the Lairds. My wife Gayle is the Laird
descendant in our family, but I'm the computer person, so I get to give
this a shot :-) The original Laird that we know of is Samuel Burlin
LAIRD, who was born in Scotland. His family migrated to Virginia. Some
sources show him born in New York state. He was fostered by the THOMPSON
Family when his mother died of sleeping sickness. He had two sisters
(names unknown) and a brother named John.

Foster parents:
Aseler C. THOMPSON; b 27 mar 1790, Orange Co, NY; d 15 sep 1863, Peoria
Il.
Berintha EGGLESTON; b 31 dec 1814, NY; d 28 oct 1899, Canton IL.

The Thompson family moved from New York to Fulton Co IL in 1837. The
first Thompson child was 1 year old, Samuel was 11 years old at this
time. Samuel remained on the farm until he was 21. Later he earned and
saved enough money to purchase 80 acres in Joshua Township. He paid
$1.25 per acre for the land and $16 for the cabin that was on the farm.
This was virgin land and Samuel plowed the first furrow in 1848. On 2
may 1848 he married Mary Ann "Polly" OGDEN and they moved to the cabin on
the new farm to begin the duties of a pioneer family. Mr Laird was an
old time minister. For 6 years he preached at Mount Camp in Isabel
Township in Fulton County. This church was built in 1888. The
congregation was started by Samuel. His zeal was great and he helped
found many churches in Fulton County. For a number of years he preached
at the Wild Goose School.

If any of the above looks familiar, we would sure like to hear from you.
We would like to hear if anyone has info back further into Scotland, as
well as info on the other sibs of Samuel and of the other children
besides Charles (below). I'll avoid too many details from here. Samuel
and Polly had 11 children. Gayle descends from the 8th child, Charles
Oliver LAIRD as follows.

Samuel Burlin LAIRD b 17 Mar 1826 m Mary Ann OGDEN
Charles Oliver LAIRD b 20 Nov 1864 m Mintie Marian PUTMAN
Cora Maude LAIRD b 9 Oct 1887 m Richard Philander RATHBUN
Ray Burns RATHBUN b 4 Feb 1924 m Beverly Byrl COFELL
Gayle Ann RATHBUN b 31 Aug 1952 m Alan Kimball WEISS

In spare moments I'm trying to piece together our trees into the
computer. I've been interested in genealogy for 25 years but have been
fairly inactive. In the last couple of years have gotten going on the
computer. I've got 8000+ names so far, with various levels of
documentation. Most of the info comes from other family sources. What I
have typed in is yours to look at if anyone is so inclined. I'd be happy
to send you a zipped GED file upon request.

Warmest regards,
Al and Gayle Weiss
2902 Panaview Blvd
Everett WA 98203-6915
206-353-8077 (area code changes to 425 in April 97)
Al at work: 800-753-5853 + 3 + 5252

This thread: