LAMONT-L Archives

Archiver > LAMONT > 2000-11 > 0973955673

Subject: Re: [LAMONT-L] Lamont of Braemar Aberdeenshire
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:14:33 EST

Maureen Scutts enquired about the Lamonts of Braemar. I give below extracts
which give some idea of the history of this branch.

"SOME EXTRACTS FROM "THE LAMONT CLAN : 1235-1935" by Hector McKechnie
Published by The Clan Lamont Society, 1938, Edinburgh

Chapter I "The Clan's Place in the History of the Highlands"
p4...... The spelling of Lamond with a "d",....is medieval. "Lagman" was the
original version, which is pure Norse and suggests that Sir LAUMON's mother
was a daughter of Somerled. "Lawmond" was the next, and was the type from
1400 to 1600. Then "Lamont" came in and that prevailed in Cowal, but not
always in the world out-by. ........About the middle of the (15th) century
there were perhaps Lamonts in France (who were afterwards the Barons de
Lamont), and by the end of it they were certainly in the Braes of Mar in
Aberdeenshire, having gone there as an escort to a Lamont lady's marriage.
The latter assumed the name "McIlleduie" or Black, until about 1700 when they
reverted to "Lamond", then out of fashion in Argyllshire, and they spell it
with the "d" to this day.
Chapter III "The Insignia of the Clan"
p25.....on a boss in the hall of Towie Castle, Aberdeenshire dated 1610,
appears as the coat of an unknown Lamont lady, a lion rampant........If later
tradition may be believed , the ancestor of the Lyons who became Earls of
Strathmore was sib to an early Lamont chief........In the 17th century
confusion arose as to the derivation of the name Lamont, which had an
unfortunate reaction upon the heralds of the day. The peculiar notion was
started that the good Norse word Lawman was French in origin and equivalent
to "La Monde"., in other words "the world", a grandiose idea which flattered
because of its suggestion of general supremacy (despite its obvious disregard
of grammar - the word monde being masculine). Probably two factors
contributed to this view, which is almost certainly erroneous. The first was
a contemporary tendency to foreign analogies of a punning nature, and the
second the presence of many Frenchmen in Scotland owing to the influence of
Queen Mary. A few La Monts no doubt may have appeared here, and would not
unnaturally be hailed by enthusiastic but ill-informed Franco-Scots as
members of the clan.
Chapter IV "The First Lamont and His Forebears"
p41 The clan name is derived from a certain Sir LAUMON who lived in the
troubled times of the 13th century.......Laumon was, of course, his
Christian name, which was the only one he had, for there were no surnames in
those days. To distinguish him from others he was referred to, as he would be
now in a fishing village, as the son of Malcolm and the grandson of Ferchar(
or Farquhar). This grandfather is the earliest definite ancestor of the
present Chief ....he had two sons called Malcolm and Duncan....... The first
authentic evidence of the clan relates to about the year 1235 ....in the
records of Paisley Abbey.... Duncan, son of Farquhar, and Laumon, Duncan's
nephew, combined to gift (to the monks) the churches of Kilmun and Kilfinan,
and the chapel of Kilmory on Lochgilp with the fishings and the lands
attached to them..........
Chapter VI "Consolidation and Development,1433-1515"
p80.......The earliest appearance of a Lamont in the Braemar district was in
1483 when an Archibald was in trouble for cattle lifting. Tradition insists
that the first of the clan in that airt was a daughter of a Laird of Lamont
who was married about this time to a McGregor of Inverey. Following the old
Celtic custom of leine-chneis she took her retainers with her, and so was
founded a new branch of the clan still to the fore to this day.
Chapter VIII "Old Standards and New, 1568-1614"
p126.......the last Lamont laird in the Braemar district in 1591 (Lamont of
Inverey) ...took part with the McIntoshes in a foraay against the
Farquharsons, who had so evilly evicted his kinsmen from Allancuaich a little
before. But when law and order were restored again they invoked the criminal
authorities , instead of treating the matter as one between gentlemen, and
contrived to have Lamont hanged for sheep stealing on a pine tree to the west
of Mar Lodge bridge, thereby deservedly incurring a curse which has never
left them.......
p128....in 1609 the first Lamont became a burgess of Glasgow .....he could do
business in the burgh as a native.......it was not long after (in 1624 to be
exact) that the first of the Braemar Lamonts received the freedom of
Aberdeen, but as it was only in an honorary capacity he may not have been in
business at all. Already in 1610 an unknown Lamont lady of good standing
had become the wife of Sir Patrick Barclay of Towie....On a boss in the
vaulting of the hall his arms are impaled with a lion rampant accompanied by
the legend "Patrick Barclay and .........Lamont".
Chapter IX"The Dawn of the Modern Era, 1614-1634"
p135.....Sir COLL(XIIIth Chief) was appointed to assist (the Bishop of the
Isles as a Commissioner) for the persecution of the Roman Catholics. His
victims were to include the harbourers of Jesuits and seminary priests,
disturbers of divine service, and blasphemers. One hopes he kept in mind
that his own kinsmen in Braemar still clung to the old faith, as indeed they
do to-day.
Chapter XI"Exile and Reinstatement, 1646-1670"
(In the Civil Wars, 1634-1650 Sir JAMES, XIVth Chief supported in the main
the fortunes of the royalist party and ruined both himself and his clan,
particularly fighting the Campbells who burnt the Lamont castles and estates
in Cowal, murdered their women and children in cold blood and hanged
thirtysix prominent clansmen in Dunoon and many others were dirked just
after. After the Restoration of Charles II in 1660 the Lamonts sought
justice.).
p213....Parliament met in Edinburgh in January 1661 for the first time in
nine years, and though not a member, Sir JAMES was in attendance.........on
the 18th he presented a petition on behalf of his tartan for authority to
cite Argyll (the Marquis), Ardkinglas, the sheriff-depute , and certain
others of the murderers......For this the whole clan had been biding its time
for fifteen years of bitterness and disillusionment. "He who waits long at
the ferry will get over some time" was an old saying.
p215.......Towards the end of May (1661) the trial came on before parliament,
it being a case of treason. The result was a foregone conclusion, though one
is bound to admit that the depositions now existing do not establish the
personal complicity of the Marquis in the atrocities against the
Lamonts..........Argyll was condemned, and suffered on the scaffold on the
24th.......All who had suffered at his hands ....combined to ask King Charles
II not to dispose of his forfeited estate without hearing their
representations. The Chief petitioned ......as he was but one of some two
dozen of noblemen and lairds it was clear there would be keen competition for
the spoils. Among his rivals were a contingent from the north country ,
including the Earls of Mar and Airlie. They seem to have had in their tails
a number of McGillivies or Blacks, who greeted Sir JAMES as their chief of
kin, though their forefolks had left his country more than a century ago.
Their meeting was the occasion of the namely Declaration of the True
Extraction of the Braemar sept of the clan, in which they were officially
recognised as "kinsmen and cadets of my hous". It was penned in Edinburgh on
the 2nd of May and was witnessed by young Archibald and old Stronalbanach.
Perhaps this was the origin of the next chief's interest in the old ancient
history of his people.
Chapter XII "Recovery and Revenge, 1670-1700"
p229 ARCHIBALD XV, who succeeded Sir JAMES at the age of 24, was a remarkable
man. If the father had fallen from wealth to poverty, the son was to reverse
this course and to rise from poverty to a modest competency, an achievement
which was less striking but more lasting.......
p236/7..... (In 1682) the Braemar branch of the clan, realising that
Archibald was now a power in the land, applied to him for recognition and
protection. Their petition, which is still to the fore in the National
Library, is striking evidence of the strength of the bond between chief and
clansmen though living beyond the ken of one another. "Ther will be in this
countrey of the bray of Marr," it commences, " about fourtie men of our name
of MackLamond trewlie come from your honor's country long since and be reason
of some accidents hes turned our right name as is knowne to be verie usuall
in highland countreys. Wee all of our race knowes our owine genelogie our
selfes. Wee live heir honestlie altho' not rich nor in great power be reison
we want on above the rest as a cheiffe to owine us & keip us unwronged." The
bearer of this appeal, which must have been personally presented at Ardlamont
was to explain in detail a particular grievance............"...all these who
descended of him were commonly called Gordones, altho' the right name is
Lamond. Otheres of us be reason of our predecessor's blackness are called
Mcgildui". Though there is curiously no reference to Sir JAMES' Declaration
of the True Extraction off the McIlzegowies which Archibald had witnessed as
a boy in 1661, the tradition underlying both is the same. "We knoweing the
truth, " runs the petition of 1682, "resolves to betake our selfis to our
right ancient name if your Honor will owne us in doeing thereof as cheife of
our name .......". This declaration and appeal was notarially executed on
behalf of a dozen "Lamonds", none of whom could put pen to paper, "in the
name of our haill freinds & clan in this countrey" on 23rd November, 1682.
Whether the chief did anything in answer is not kenned, but he must surely
have been moved, and it was probably at this date that the Braemar sept
finally abandoned their by-names and reverted to the clan name proper.
p377 .......Of the branches or colonies, and of the septs (of the Lamont
Clan) it has been impossible to give any separate treatment. In no case can
a pedigree be unravelled, and in Braemar alone is there early evidence of
kinship (in 1661 and 1682).
Chapter XXVI "The Clan Lamont today : 1895-1935"
p481/2......In the summer of 1895 there met in a Glasgow club (two Lamonts
and one Lamond) ......... There and then they decided to form an association,
The Lamont Clan Society.(By 1906 this was inverted to "Clan Lamont Society).
A Constitution and Rules were adopted at a preliminary meeting in Glasgow on
18th September of that year..........the three Vice-Presidents were
............; and James Lamond,S.S.C. Edinburgh, probably of Braemar
ancestry........Those on the Council (of the Society) by the turn of the
century were......the Rev.John Lamond, minister of Greenside parish church,
Edinburgh, of Braemar stock (later known as a spiritualist)......In the kin
from Braemar the old spirit was at its highest......
p483......It was decided to do honour to the victims of the massacre at
Dunoon in 1646 by the erection of a memorial to be unveiled by the chief
......... in 1906. Over £100 was collected from the members for the
granite monolith with Celtic cross and bronze scroll......... As the crane at
Dunoon could not handle 3 tons 15 cwts. it was sent in September by Wade's
road and the Rest-and-be Thankful. But the lorry was unequal to the occasion
and collapsed in Glencroe, when the stone was returned by the railway to
Bowling. There it was shipped on the 'S.L.Barracouta' bound for Portree, and
at low tide was put on to a lorry at Dunoon. So the memorial was in position
by the 29th when JOHN HENRY (XXIst Chief) in person took the lead, having
travelled from Devonshire for the day of days. The Rev.John Lamond, in a long
address, spoke as follows "To one like myself who believes in the immortality
of the soul, I cannot but believe that this act on our part will be pleasing
to the shades of the departed. Nor can I imagine that they are indifferent to
the proceedings of this day. From beyond that bourne whence they have fared
they may recall the sorrowful ending of their lives, but they will rejoice
that they still live in the memory of their descendants. To you, the
Magistrates of Dunoon, we entrust the keeping of this monument". After the
chief had unveiled the memorial, the representative of the town council
accepted its custody, remarking that while they no longer hanged visitors to
Dunoon they still put their hands in their pockets!
p484/5 (1914/1918).....Four hundred of the brave of the clan fell in the war,
and 954 were wounded..........To their memory the Society in November 1920
presented and dedicated a shield in the Highlanders' Memorial Church in
Glasgow. A special service was conducted by the Rev. John Lamond ........ "

There is a reference above to the Council of the Clan Lamont Society at the
turn of the century including the Rev. John Lamond 'being of Braemar stock".
He was my great-grandfather's brother - and I do not know how he was certain
of this ancestry. Our most likely line of descent is :

John Lamond m. Margaret Clark, 1755, Glenisla

Thomas Lamond m. Isobel Farquharson, 1790, Kingoldrum
b.1766,Glenisla |

Francis Lamond m. Isabella Hendry, 1822, Airlie
b.1793,Kingoldrum |

William Ogilvy Lamond m. Jane Hendry, 1845, Cortachy
b.1823,Airlie

William Ogilvy Lamond's sons included Rev. John Lamond who was born in 1855.
In 1864 his parents and most of the family emigrated to Queensland leaving
John behind to live with his grandparents. Another older son, Andrew, also
remained in Scotland and became my great-grandfather.

It is quite possible that the first move of this Lamond family had been from
Braemar to Glenisla - but I have not seen any firm evidence of this. There is
only family hearsay to support this. A progression to Glenisla, thence to
Kingoldrum and then Airlie/Cortachy outlined earlier would fit in with this.
More confirmation of this came to me from the late James Lamond of Liff
whose forebear Thomas Lamond, born in Kingoldrum was also a son of Thomas
Lamond and Isobel Farquharson. He told me some years ago that his
grandfather when asked where the family had originated replied "Jim, they
cam' ower frae Braemar in a peat creel" !!

I hope this is of some interest to any others of Braemar descent - and indeed
to the wider Clan.

Douglas Nicholson ()

This thread: