LANARK-L ArchivesArchiver > LANARK > 2002-07 > 1025986601
From: "McCartney Family" <>
Subject: [LKS] About Carmunnock
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 14:21:05 -0600
Thank you for putting this information on the list. I have just recently
found that relatives of mine were born/married/died in Carmunnock, but have
had little info about this particular town so far.
My family info with respect to this community are as follows:
FLEMING (Flemming) Alexander (b in 1760 abt)
FLEMING John (b 1809)
CUTHBERTSON, Margaret (born 1822)
ORR, Jean/Jane (b abt 1796)
All these people were born in the community, with the first and last ones
probably dying there too. The middle two are my gggrandparents, who came to
NB in 1867.
Thanks once again, John. Happy hunting, everyone.
Date: July 3, 2002 4:54 AM
Subject: [LKS] CARMUNNOCK.
Not so many years ago Carmunnock was a quiet old world village,
consisting of a population of not more than several hundred people.
Although it was only a few miles from the teeming metropolis of
Glasgow, it still held firmly to many of its features of the past and
was little affected by the social and industrial swell of its mighty
After the Second World War conditions changed rapidly in the
village and surrounding parish.
House hungry Glasgow had acquired a large portion of
Carmunnock Parish, including the estate of Castlemilk, for building
purposes. At the same time the new town of East Kilbride took
over a portion of the land on the south of the Parish for industrial
The once thriving farmlands of Carmunnock Parish, which had been
tilled for centuries, were now swallowed up by the capacious maw
of Glasgow and East Kilbride.
Before this acquisition of almost half of the Parish of Carmunnock
took place, there were approximately twenty farms within its
Today only three remain, namely: Picketlaw Farm on the Busby
Road, Parklea Farm at Kittochside Road, and Waterbank Farm on
In truth, Carmunnock is fast developing into a giant hub for through
traffic serving the highly industrial and dormitory areas around.
Where once the occasional horse and buggy cantered through the
quaint streets, vehicular traffic has now taken precedence so much
so that it has been said that 1,400 pass through during the peak
hour in the morning and double this amount in the evening peak.
The name Carmunnock is thought to be derived from the Gaelic
CAER MANNOCK meaning Monks Fort. The patron saint of
Carmunnock is St. Cadoc, who founded the church in Carmunnock
in A.D. 528.
Prior to this period the druids served the religious needs of the local
people. The present church was built in 1767 and is surrounded by
an ancient graveyard.
Situated in a sheltered nook is what is popularly known as the
Minister's corner and gravestones, some of them table shaped,
mark the last resting place of eleven Ministers of the Parish.
The earliest date discernible on them is 1744.
A stone gatehouse, built at the entrance to the church, was
erected by the Rev. Patrick Glason during his ministry of 1815-24,
and its purpose was to shelter the watch during the Resurrectionist
The watchmen were duty bound to keep a sharp look-out for
prowling body snatchers and inside the gatehouse, firmly fixed on
the wall, is a board with a code of watch rules which run thus:-
"Regulation for the watch: There are two on each watch each night
who are to go on an hour after sunset and continue till after
daybreak in winter and till after sunrise in summer.
They are strictly prohibited from getting intoxicated, or leaving the
churchyard during that time and no visitor is allowed to enter on
any account without giving the password for the night.
They are also prohibited from making noise of firing guns except
where there is cause of alarm that any of the inhabitants in such
cases may be able to turn out to the assistance of the watch.
Any damage that may be done to the watchhouse or furnishings is
to be repaired at the expense of those who make it - ordered at
Carmunnock on the 8th of January, 1828."
There is a lady residing in the village who remembers that her
grandfather was one of the last to take his turn at the watch.
For safekeeping the old bell of the church is lodged in the church.
It was taken down from the belfry and replaced by a new bell in
1894 which was cast in Belgium or Holland and bears the maker's
name MICHAEL BERGERHUYS with the date 1618.
Inside the church, suitably inscribed on a plaque, are a complete
list of the minister's names of Carmunnock Parish since the
Reformation in 1567.
The list includes the name MATHEW MCKAIL 1640, whose son
Hugh McKail was born in Carmunnock Manse, and was a well
known covenanting martyr.
The name Rev. James French 1786 is also noticed. He tutored Sir
Walter Scott prior to Scott's entering Edinburgh High School in
In 1180 the church was placed under the authority of Paisley
Abbey and according to legend, a tunnel exists between the Abbey
and Carmunnock Church.
[Note/ Paisley Abbey lies some 8 miles from Carmunnock Church.]
The present records of the church date back to 1692.
For a small village Carmunnock has the unusual distinction of
possessing two war memorials in honour of the fallen of the 1914
The first one consists of four beautiful stained glass church
windows designed and executed by the late Mr. Norman McLeod
The memorial figures depicted on the windows can be seen to best
advantage from inside the church. The strong shapely hands of
Macdougall's nephew, Mr. J. D. Martin, at present residing at 65
Gallowhill Road, Carmunnock, were used as models when he
carried out the work on the figure presenting the weighty sword
portrayed on one of the windows.
One of the names on the Roll of Honour is Macdougall's son
Charles, who was killed in the Mesopotamia Turkish theatre of war,
five minutes before the armistice was declared in 1918.
He had served for 25 years in the 1st Battalion H. L. I. [Highland
Light Infantry] .
Macdougall was also responsible for planning and executing
Heraldic work in the Glasgow Cathedral and the oil painting of the
ascension in St. John's Episcopal Cathedral in Oban, Argyll.
He is buried in Carmunnock churchyard .
The second war memorial was kindly gifted by the then Laird of
Castlemilk, Stirling Stuart, and is built at Waterside Road on the
site of an old Toll House which served the traffic from Glasgow.
This monument indicates the names of those who died in both
Carmunnock had a second toll house which was situated at the
corner of Cathkin Road and Waterside Road and which dealt with
through traffic coming from East Kilbride.
Many of the remaining older buildings in Carmunnock are very
Mrs. Begg's house for instance, at No. 8 Kirk Road, is said to date
back to the 13th century, and it is generally believed that some of
Mary Queen of Scots' troops lodged here shortly before the Battle
of Langside took place on 13th of May 1568.
In the garden attached to this house is an ancient well, the interior
of which is lined with beautiful polished brick.
A window built in the chimney stack is a rare architectural feature
and draws much attention. This dwelling is believed to come under
the care of the National Trust.
Bishop Cottage, at 7 Rowanbank, is where the last weaver in
Carmunnock resided. Directly opposite, on the site of a little
green, once stood CRAIGENPUTTOCK cottage, which latterly
became a tea room before being demolished.
It was evidently called after the home of Thomas Carlyle, the
historian, whose house Craigenputtock still stands in Dunscore
parish, a few miles from Friars' Carse [Post Office Fellowship of
Remembrance] in Dumfriesshire.
Adjacent to Bankhed Farmhouse, Busby Road, are the famous
BEE BOLES, built in 1762. They can easily be seen from the main
road and, as the name implies, their purpose was to protect
Beehives from the wind and storm.
It is said that they have been much admired by bee fanciers from
abroad and "The Scottish Field Magazine" has printed articles
extolling their qualities.
An interesting discovery was made in the garden of the "Craigs",
Carmunnock, the residence of Mr. Greenlees, the well-known
retailer. A life-sized statue of Shakespeare stands with one of the
elbows resting on three volumes of books with the cryptic words
ALL THE WORLD"S A STAGE inscribed thereon.
The history of this skilfully sculptured figure goes back possibly to
the beginning of the theatre in Glasgow,
On page 54 of C.A. Oakley's book entitled "The Second City" [first
edition 1946] is a picture of the Caledonian Theatre, which was
built in 1795 and later known as the Royal Theatre, Dunlop Street,
Glasgow, which shows the same statue positioned in a recess
high in the top of the building.
It is thought that the same statue was salvaged from an earlier
building [1764-1780] between Alston Street and Hope Street on the
site of the Central Station.
It is said that each time the statue was re-erected as an adornment
for a theatre it had the misfortune to be burned down.
The statue was considered a hoodoo and ultimately it was taken to
Carmunnock as a garden ornament.
Manse Road was the site of the old School House, but only the
decaying walls of this one time village seat of learning remain.
On the stone lintel of the doorway, is the date 1736 and an earlier
date 1601 is found inside the building above the fireplace.
In these early days pupils had each to bring a lump of coal to keep
the school fire burning.
Inside Boghouse Public House, built in 1792, are two water colour
pictures of old Carmunnock. One portrays the village and the other
the 200 year old picturesque Kittoch Mill which functioned up until
Carmunnock has formed a splendid Preservation Society with a
1973 membership of 300. Their aim is to preserve the delightful old
village which in turn will offer a pleasing contrast to the modern but
tastefully built houses which surround it.
To their credit, they have purchased the old Manse Glebe and have
also negotiated the purchase of the site of the old Neuk adjacent to
The Neuk was originally a licensed restaurant which was recently
burnt down. It was proposed to make this ground a garden and
consequently maintain a clear view of the village church.
John Duncan, Melbourne, Australia.
|[LKS] About Carmunnock by "McCartney Family" <>|