LANARK-L Archives

Archiver > LANARK > 2004-01 > 1073362760

Subject: [LKS] Trying to find death between 1856 and 1879-Craig McDonald
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:19:27 +0000

Craig and Other Listers,

My family lived in Knightswood Rows. I acquired a printout of a paper on St.
David's Knightswood describing the history of this church in part it says:

"East of Pikeman Road to Knightscliffe Avenue was old Knightswood. From 1740
to 1896 it was a mining village. The Red Town stood opposite Knightswood
Hospital entrance and the miners' rows were at the east end of Baldric and
Kestrel Rods. Hermitage Avenue and Waren Road were the sitesw respectively
of Summerlee Iron Works and Knightswood Brick Works. Old Knightswood was
part of the lands of Drumry owned by the Crawford family from 1529 to 1887.
They bore the title of Earl of Crawford and Lindsay, and later Earl of
Glasgow."

My grandfather was an ironstone miner and lived in Knightswood Rows from 1871
to 1888 when he immigrated to the United States. All his paperwork, marriage
license etc. is under the Parish of New Kilpatrick, Dumbarton County not
Renfrew. Maybe this will help. Mitchell Library has a photograph of
Knightswood Rows should this turn out to be where he was living.

There is a newer version of the history quoted above at
www.stdavidschurch.freeserve.com.

Good Luck

Barbara Stettler
Washington State USA