LANARK-L Archives

Archiver > LANARK > 2010-10 > 1288442578

From: "Jose" <>
Subject: [Lanark] Tennant from 'upward of Carnwath'
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:42:58 +0200

Thanks for all this info Nivard. Yes, I have quite a lot of info about John
TENNANT from the time he married Mary PATERSON and came to Ecclefechan,
Hoddom. But I have two stumbling blocks:

As you say, the censuses (what is the plural of 'census'?) consistently say
he's from Carnwath. In the family book compiled by John Tennant he mentions
that he is from "upward of Carnwath". But where exactly? and who were his
parents? I have found a couple of John Tennants that might fit the bill.

You mentioned one: John TENNANT and Marion BROWN . They actually had two
Johns; the first was born in 1811 and the second in 1815 - presumably the
first John died.

I have found another John, the son of James TENNANT and Catherine TAYLOR,
also of Carnwath. Unfortunately I have no evidence to enable me to claim
either. Both were born in 1815, though for some reason I think my John may
have been born in 1816.

You've found a Joseph TENNANT in Hoddom. This is interesting. I've checked
the Carnwath John and Marion Tennant children but there isn't a Joseph. I
seem to remember that at some point I found another John Tennant in Hoddom -
I can't remember any details but must have another hunt as I don't remember
finding a Joseph. However, the fact that there is another Tennant family in
the same small village could be significant and may how he met his wife when
visiting family?

My other block is that I cant find my John TENNANT's grave. John TENNANT
died in 1902. His wife died a few years earlier and was buried in a
cemetery in Ecclefechan. However, even though I have a copy of his death
certificate I cannot find where he was buried. I have even been in touch
with the local council but to no avail. Where is he? I wonder if the fact
that he was a secessionist makes any difference? Or it may be that he was
buried alongside his wife but no inscription added?

All thoughts are very welcome!

Thanks again for your help - Jose