LANCASTER-L Archives

Archiver > LANCASTER > 2000-09 > 0969108177

From: Deborah Lancaster Butcher <>
Subject: [Lancaster] Jemimah Jane Pittman Lancaster
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 05:42:57 -0700

Posted on: LANCASTER Obituaries
Reply Here: http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/surnames/l/a/LANCASTER/obituaries/25

Surname: Lancaster
-------------------------

FIRST DEATH FROM SNAKE BITE IN ROSS COUNTY
SINCE RECORDS OF MORTALITY HAS BEEN KEPT IN THIS COUNTY

As the details of the death from a snake bite of Mrs.Jane Lancaster, of
Franklin township, a brief account in the Gazette developed Friday,the
unusual and horrible nature of the case appeared.
It is the first case of death by snake bite recorded in Ross County since
the department of vital statistics was established here,it was announced
at the health department Friday.

DIED IN 18 HOURS

So violent was the snake's poision that the victim was cold in death within
18 hours after she was bitten.
The suffering of the aged woman during that short period cannot be adequately
described, according to Dr. R.E. Bowers , who attended her. The bitten
limb swelled quickly and badly, she could hold no medicine in her stomach,
and her heart became so weak that the doctor's chief effort was to stimulate
its action by hot water bottles and otherwise.
In spite of the very poisionous character of the snake's virus, said Dr.
Bowers, I believe that if Mrs. Lancaster had been a younger woman , we
might hae saved her.Her age (66) was greatly against her.Also when I reached
her the poision had gotten under such headway in her system that it was
too late to counteract it.

RATTLER OR COPPERHEAD
Mrs. Lancaster lived in snake Hollow , long famous for its venomous reptiles.Whether
the snake that bit her was a rattler or a copperhead is not certain. She
told the doctor that she did not see it when it bit her or afterwards.
All she saw was a movement in the woods that hid it as it got away. Many
rattlers and copperheads have been killed this summer in this vicinity.

LETS WOUND BLEED
The wound made by the bite was described by Dr.Bowers as a very large and
ugly one. Before he arrived one of the neighbors had bandaged the ankle,
which was bitten very tightly. When the doctor got there , he at once removed
the bandage and let the wound bleed freely.

CALL WHISKY N.G.
Dr. Bowers added that he attached little or no value to the use of whiskey
in such cases. It was a popular delusion he declared, I could have given
Mrs. Lancaster some whiskey he said, but I don't believe it would have
done her any good . Anyhow, her stomach was in such a condition that she
would not probably have been able to retain it if I had given it to her.

DIED AUGUST 12, 1921 CHILLICOTHE,OHIO

BORN 1855 WETZEL COUNTY, WEST VIRGINIA

This thread: