LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 1997-07 > 0869209943

From: Rice Witzerman Associates <>
Subject: Re: INTRODUCTION
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 18:12:23 +1100

> May I make request to you all? Could you introduce yourself here

I live in Hobart, Tasmania (the island at the bottom of Australia) and my interest
in this list derives from two sets of GG grandparents who migrated from Lancs.to
Sydney, New South Wales, in the 1850s - William ROBERTS and Jane (nee GREEN), and
Samuel SWEENY and Mary Ann (nee HALL).

William ROBERTS (born ca 1819, Neston, Cheshire) married Jane GREEN (born ca 1818,
Liverpool, father's name - John ) in Liverpool in 1838. They had four surviving
children when they left England in 1852, all born in Liverpool: Thomas B., John,
Ellen Jane and William. Mary Elizabeth and Emma were born in Sydney.

Samuel Aird SWEENY (born 1819, Isle of Wight) married Mary Ann HALL (born ca 1825,
Sidmouth, Devonshire) at Manchester Cathedral in 1844. Mary Ann's address was given
as Hunt's Bank and her father, George HALL, was shown as Chief Inspector, Leeds -
Manchester Railway. They left Manchester for New South Wales in 1855 - Samuel was
then a policeman - with children Samuel, Juliana, Aird and Frederick. Later children
- William, Martha and Mary Ann - were born in Sydney.
Martha became the mother of one of Australia's Victoria Cross winners in France in
WW1 - George "Snowy" HOWELL.

At this point in my research I am particularly interested in finding out what became
of the SWEENY/HALL siblings - Sophia SWEENY (1815), Martha SWEENY (1817), John Henry
SWEENY (1823) and Florence Matilda HALL (ca 1827) and any information about their
parents.

Vivien Rice
<>

This thread: