LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 1998-03 > 0889725738

From: V P Leigh <>
Subject: Re: [LANCSGEN-L] WOW! We now have over 700 subscribers!!!!
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:02:18 EST

In a message dated 11/03/98 18:19:33, Jayne wrote:

>For the "oldies" - I would like those of you who have been here a while to
>submit/resubmit your interests so that our newcomers can see how to post
>their own messages and just what type of information is going through this
>list.

OK, here goes:-

BINLESS - 19-20C in Lancaster
BLACKETT - 19 C in Bolton-le-Sands & Hutton near Preston
BRADLEY - 18-19C in Lancaster, Halton, Melling
BROXTON - need the birth of Mary Anne, known as Polly, about 1884 around Wigan
BUCKLEY - need marriage of Joseph to Eliza WOOD before 1863 - somewhere?
CAVANAGH - desperately looking for Desmond Michael CAVANAGH, my father's
cousin, for last two years. Born 1925 to Michael CAVANAGH, licensee of (Harry)
Liston's Bar, Manchester, and wife (Eleanor) Lillian, nee FEENEY. Married 1950
at Whalley to Lesley Ann HIGSON; address then was Bull Inn, Burnage Lane,
Manchester and occupation was journalist. National Union of Journalists say he
left them in 1951 when he went to East Africa. DSS Traceline tell me he is
currently registered with a doctor in UK but won't tell me where and won't
pass on a letter/message. Frustrating isn't the word!! He is the last living
relative on my father's line.
CLEMINSON - Ann; 'of full age' at marriage in Lancaster in 1850; father
Matthew CLEMINSON, labourer. No baptism found in Lancaster. Where did they
come from?
COWPERTHWAITE - 17-18C in Hawkshead
FEENEY - Owen, commercial traveller, born about 1864, but where? Father also
Owen, deceased in 1887. Owen junior in Manchester 1888. Cannot find him
anywhere on 1881 census.
FOXCROFT - 18-20C in Caton, Lancaster
HANNAH - 19C in Lancaster; moved from Manchester
HERDMAN - 19C in Lancaster and Tunstall
JANES - 19C in Lancaster
JOHNSON - 18-19C in Halton & Lancaster
LEIGH - need birth of Thomas LEIGH, about 1886 around Ince; siblings Samuel,
Gilbert and John.
MECOID - 18-19C in Lancaster
OGDEN - John, iron worker, wife Margaret, nee CHERRY, daughter Emma Jane born
13 Sep 1865 at Bent Hollow, Oldham. Marriage needed, births needed; also death
of John OGDEN prior to 1881 census, when widow was remarried to James WILCOCK
and living at 312, Ashton Road, Oldham.
SUART - anytime, anywhere
SUTCLIFFE - Samuel, roller coverer, born about 1837 in Oldham; wife Pamela,
nee STUTTARD, born about 1838 in Oldham; known children William Henry, Daniel
& Robert. Marriage needed; births needed. William Henry SUTCLIFFE was employed
by Stuttard & Co., said to be his mother's relatives.
TOWNSON - 18C in Lancaster
TRESNON - 19C in Lancaster, but interested in origins of this family

I would be grateful for the tiniest clue.

Vivienne Leigh,
Morecambe, Lancashire

This thread: