LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 1999-03 > 0921577670

From: "Mark Pepperday & Elli Kliffen" <>
Subject: Re: Leyland Motors
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:47:50 -0000

Dear Don
Leyland Motors was what became British Leyland, the nationalised car
manufacturer here in the UK. BL was a byword for industrial unrest in the
1970s, and bit by bit was sold off, closed down etc. Growing up in the
1970s, if they didn't have a Ford, most of my friends' parents drove a
British Leyland car ( we had a venerable VW Beetle dating from 1961).
All that remains (as far as I know) of the Leyland name is Leyland DAF, a
truck/van manufacturer. I'm going to the library this a.m. so will see if
they have any books on Leyland history etc.
All that remains of the old nationalised British car industry is the Rover
plant - now in the hands of BMW, and its future is hanging very precariously
in the balance...
Best wishes
Elli

This thread: