LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 1999-04 > 0923872233

From: "Rodney Hall" <>
Subject: Re: MERCHANT SEAMANS CONTINUOUS DISCHARGE BOOK
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 00:10:33 +0100

Dear Pat,

The book you are referring to was commonly called a "Discharge Book" and contained
the name of each ship served on, in what capacity, when and where joined and left the
ship, with a rubber stamp giving the conduct of the person - G for good (not very
good); VG (normally expected) or DR, meaning Declined to Report, which was *very*
bad.

This book also contained personal details, address and next of kin, certificates and
qualifications attained.

They were issued to the individual seaman - of all ranks - by the local Mercantile
Marine Office, as a continuous record of sea service. In my case it was Liverpool. It
was a hard backed book about the same size as the (Blue) British passport and if you
had to be left ashore for any reason (eg. sickness) and did not actually have a
passport with you, it could be used as a temporary seaman's passport. I had a
Yugoslav visa stamped in mine in 1958 in such circumstances, when I had my appendix
out in Split. Very appropriately named place in the circumstances! ;-)

If you haven't got the copy held by your individual, then there would be no way of
duplicating it, I'm afraid.

However, records of the signing on and signing off of every seaman were returned by
the Master of every British vessel to the Registrar of Shipping and would be held in
Llantrisant Road, Cardiff. For how long they are held there I cannot tell you, they
may ultimately end up in some other repository.

Hope this helps

Rodney HALL (retired Master Mariner)
Heywood, Lancashire