LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 1999-11 > 0943139420

From: "f croft" <>
Subject: Re: [LAN] Fyffes - BANANA BOATS - GARSTON
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:10:20 -0000

Correct Charles

The late 50's and early 60's would have seen the 'CHICANOA', CHANGUINOLA'
and the 'CHUSCAL' paying regular visits to either Garston, Avonmouth,
Greenock and Southampton. They were owned by Elders & Fyffes and were
specially designed to carry fruit, mainly bananas. They also carried Royal
Mail and 12 passengers. Outward journeys were normally used to clean down
the holds, but a small amount of dry cargo was often carried, some of which
would be for their plantations in the Carribean and Central America.

Regular ports of call were, Tiko W. Africa, Fernando Poo W.Africa,
Bridgetown Barbados, Port O' Spain Trinidad, Kingston Jamaica, Port Antonio
Jamaica, Cortez Honduras, and Pt Barios Guatemala.

The ships were named after S. American rivers, and in addition to the above
were;

CAMITO flag ship, GOLFITO sister ship, both carrying 100 passengers, and
normally berthed in Southampton, (next berth to Transatlantic Terminal)
commonly known as the 'knub '.

SULACA and SAMALA both 30 yr old turbo electric capable of very high speeds.
SAMALA blew up in the Atlantic with loss of life and was assisted by QE 1.

TETELA, TURIALBA and TUCURINCA were more modern ships which normally served
the American coast. Unfortunately I did not study the earlier history of the
company, but I believe that Fyffes had quite a large fleet prior to WW2 most
of which were lost during the war. There was some connection with The
American Fruit Co. but I do not have details.

Nowadays I think that most of their ships are under charter, but they still
sell bananas under Fyffes name albeit the company has changed hands. The
ships normally discharge in Zeebrugge, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Antwerp, and
Sheerness.

Rgds Frank from Marsden still in the (WRY).
Researching;
CROFT(Wortley,Sheff).
DUNSMORE (Harby,Leicstershire)
BOLTON,FAINT,PILL,BAILEY,(London)
WARREN(N.Ferriby ERY, & Eton/Windsor,Bucks).
REED(Alkboro, Lincs)
SINGLETON(Golbourne, Lancs, Wortley,Leeds).
STEAD,WHITEHEAD(Marsden,Crosland,Meltham,Hudds).
KIRBY(Middleton on the Wolds,Manchester,Saddleworth).
COX,GRANT,KELLAWAY,RUNYARD(Wool,Dorset.Saddleworth, Yorks).