LANCSGEN-L Archives

> #9 [LAN] CRADDOCK STRAY [David Greenhalgh <]
> #10 [LAN] Lambert ["antony lambert" <antonylambert@di]
> #11 [LAN] CALLAND/WIGAN ["R Howard MBE" <>]
> #12 [LAN] TAYLOR/HOWARD ["R Howard MBE" <>]
> Administrivia:
> To unsubscribe from LANCSGEN-D, send a message to
> that contains in the body of the message the command
> unsubscribe
> and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if
> your software requires one, just use unsubscribe in the
> subject, too.
> =======================================================
> If you have a problem with LANCSGEN?
> You can contact one of the following:
> Jayne - mailto:
> Tom - mailto:
> Dot - mailto:
> The Lancsgen mailing list FAQ is at:
> http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~spire/lancsfaq/faq.htm
> To search the archives of this list go to:
> http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl
> To view messages posted to the list:
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/archives/LANCSGEN-L/
> LancashireGenWeb: http://www.rootsweb.com/~englan/
> ==========================================================
> Subject: [LAN] Need Clarification onSt. Mary's Church
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:07:23 EST
> From:
> First, thanks to all the list members that responded my post on St. Mary's
> and the Priory Churches and obtaining baptismal records.
> Question: Is there a RC St. Mary's Church and a separate Anglican St. Mary's
> Parish? All of the baptisms for the children of Thomas and Ann Parkinson
> for the years 1777-1802 were at the RC St. Mary's Parish.
> Thanks in advance.
> Subject: [LAN] Re:Somerset Herald
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:44:32 -0000
> From: "amaudsley" <>
> I rather think that the Somerset Herald is an official of the College of
> Heralds,, but that he is a Lancashire man.
> From: <>
> Sent: Thursday, December 09, 1999 4:46 PM
> Subject: LANCSGEN-D Digest V99 #1634
> Subject: [LAN] Robert Cave 1853
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:02:55 EST
> From:
> I have been trying to find the birth entry of Robert Cave born in 1853
> Liverpool, Lancashire according to the 1881 and 1891 census. I have obtained
> the birth certificate for the only Robert Cave of that year and found the
> father to be a butcher. When Robert was married John his father was shoe
> maker, which I think is an unlikely change of occupation.
> Can any one help identify his parentage. There are so many Caves in Liverpool
> area on the IGI and in census returns. If any one comes across a Robert Cave
> in West Derby, Liverpool 1853 in the GRO or Parish Registers could they
> please let me know.
> Subject: [LAN] Old Radford, Notts
> Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:10:03 +0000
> From: "Liz Blackshaw" <>
> To whoever was looking for Radford
> I have traced my Liverpool-born ancestor's parents back to Radford. Notts
> and so I was intrigued by Denis's message on the Lancs list about someone
> else looking for the location of Radford. If you sent that original message,
> please let me know!
> My BLACKSHAWs were living in Lewis Street, West Derby in 1861 when Henry
> Norman was christened at St Paul's. I don't know mother Mary's maiden name
> yet but father was probably (Henry) Thomas BLACKSHAW, lace draper,
> christened in Radford, Nottingham in 1833. I'm still waiting for Henry
> Norman's birth cert. to confirm this!
> Any bells ringing?!
> Liz
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Researching:
> MORTRAM/MORTERS, WEBB, PELL, WRIGHT, BECKHAM, MOORE, PAGE, WALLER
> in Letheringsett in Norfolk
> TODD, BANHAM in Woodton, Bedingham, Norfolk
> SCRUTTON in Holton, Suffolk
> BLACKSHAW, MASSEY, HARWOOD, LEES, MARTIN, DRINKWATER in Lancs.
> BLACKSHAW in Notts.
> Subject: [LAN] Abject apologies ref Kayes & Yates - 1881 Census CD's
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:20:30 -0000
> From: "Charles Lyon" <>
> Hi All,
> Particularly, Pauline, Sharon, Lilian, Ruth, Diantha, Kay, & last but not
> least Lynn.
> - --------------------------------------------------------
> I have to apologise to you all for providing you with incorrect information
> regarding the above two surnames.
> The apology is on two counts.
> Firstly, neither John KAYES nor Mary Ann YATES were born in 1881.
> Secondly, the information that I provided over the surnames was transposed.
> There is no excuse and I am sorry that so many of you put in your time and
> effort to no avail.
> I hope that I have not missed anyone off the list, if so then this applies
> to you as well.
> - --------------------------------------------------------Now that I have
> finished grovelling.
> I can tell you all that I could give you the correct information if you want
> to do it all over again>
> OUCH!
> Charles LYON
> Maghull
> Merseyside
> UK
> Subject: [LAN] Birmingham
> Date: 10 Dec 99 07:02:35 +1000
> From:
> G'day Listers,
> Can anyone tell me if Birmingham was in Worcestershire in the 1850's. I have an
> ancestor who says it was.
> Cheers
> Mel in Melbourne
> Melvyn D Grieveson
> Download NeoPlanet at http://www.neoplanet.com
> Subject: Re: [LAN] CHILD NAMING
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:53:44 -0000
> From: "Mark Sutherland-Fisher" <>
> Hi folks,
> I thought I'd better put a word in here. I saw someone yesterday talk about
> the naming pattern as though it was a universal matter. Can I remind you all
> of the lengthy posting I did about two months ago on naming patterns IN
> SCOTLAND, as part of a larger discussion which was going on at the time.
> I explained that the eldest son-father's father, second son-mother's father,
> third son-father; eldest daughter-mother's mother, second daughter-father's
> mother, third daughter-mother, was a traditional HIGHLAND SCOTTISH naming
> pattern which applied extensively in the Scottish Highlands pre 1850 but it
> DIDN'T even apply to the rest of Scotland, let alone England. I explained
> that it became common in the North of England only among those migrating
> Scottish families, leaving behind the Highland Clearances or poverty and
> attracted to the new industry in places like Manchester and Newcastle.
> "My" naming pattern is useful as a guide if you have a family with a
> Scottish background or a Scottish branch, from the Highlands, but otherwise,
> as someone else said, you should examine each generation and try and find a
> theme running through the names given to the children.
> Similarly the re-naming a child born after the death of an older sibling was
> a very common Scottish practice but less common in England. In both cases,
> the giving of a middle name was rare outside the upper classes before 1850.
> Regards to all,
> Mark
> Genealogist: Clan Sutherland
> Co-genealogist: Clan Mackenzie
> see my web-site: http://www.highland-family-heritage.co.uk
> Professional Genealogist specialising in Highland Research and the 18th
> century
> From: alexander <>
> Sent: 08 December 1999 01:38
> Subject: Re: [LAN] CHILD NAMING
> > Hi Terry and everybody else on the list
> > In my family Peter was born in 1769 son of Henry and Susan. Peters 1st and
> > only son born 1805 was Robert, and his only daughter was Susannah.
> > Roberts 1st son was Henry, 2nd Robert, 3rd Peter, 4th John.
> > So it doesn't always follow.
> > Michael A Lonsdale
> > LETT in the Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire area's pre 1800
> > LONSDALE, PRE 1500 Lancashire, Cumberland, Westmoreland
> > NUTTALL, Lancashire circa 1500 - 1600
> > SUMNER in the Southport area pre 1900
> > TURNER in the Southport and Cockermouth area's pre 1900
> > WHITTINGHAM in the Bolton area pre 1875
> > WILSON, Helen Elizabeth born about 1870 location unknown.
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Terry Jackson <>
> > To: <>
> > Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 4:01 PM
> > Subject: Re: [LAN] CHILD NAMING
> > > Eddie and others interested
> > > The First son is named after the fathers father
> > > the second son is named after the mothers father
> > > the third son is named after the father himself
> > > the fourth through to the end is named after favourite brother or friend
> > > of the father
> > >
> > > The first daughter is named after the mothers mother
> > > the second daughter is named after the fathers mother
> > > the third daughter is named after the mother herself
> > > the fourth through to the end is named after a favourite sister or
> > > friend of the mother.
> > >
> > > Terry Jackson in Oxfordshire
> > >
> > > Researching:
> > > CHS: GARNER,ROYLANCE,MCDONNELL
> > > LAN: SMITH,JACKSON,FISHER,HATTON,MCDONNELL,GOLDSMITH
> > > SURREY: PARRATT,PUNTER,WILKINSON,BINFIELD,EARLE,LITTLE,
> > >
> > > ==== FreeBMD-Admins Mailing List ====
> > > Looking to volunteer?
> > > http://FreeBMD.RootsWeb.com/Vol_instructions.html
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > About 8 months ago,someone posted a description of the way that
> > > > Victorian,etc,parents named their children.
> > > > Unfortunately in upgrading my HD and and changing two OS,I have
> > > http://uk.multimap.com/
> > > to search for UK places
> > >
> > ==== LANCSGEN Mailing List ====
> > Visit:
> > http://www.genuki.org.uk/
> > for initial information on all aspects of genealogy in the UK
> Subject: [LAN] Re: STANLEY FAMILY,Newton Heath
> Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 20:39:56 +0000
> From: ken wilde <>
> 1
> > Hi to all,
> > Is anyone researching the following STANLEY family of NEWTON HEATH
> > WILLIAM STANLEY=HANNAH SHORT
> > ROBERT STANLEY=HANNAH KNOWLES
> > |
> > HENRY,ROBERT,GEORGE,WILLIAM,ARTHUR,ERNEST,ESTHER,EDITH,HANNAH.
> > ROBERT STANLEY(father)had three brothers,JAMES,JOHN DUNSCOMBE,HENRY,
> > also two sisters,ANN L,and PHEOBE.
> > WILLIAM STANLEY married HANNAH SHORT in 1837,at ST.MARYS BITTON,
> > BRISTOL,WILLIAM STANLEY was born 1809 Dukinfield.
> > My interest in the above STANLEY family is the SHORT connection,in the
> > area of BITTON/OLDLAND(BRISTOL).
> > Regards to all,
> > Ken.
> Subject: [LAN] CRADDOCK STRAY
> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 19:49:45 +0000
> From: David Greenhalgh <>
> Hi
> To any Craddocks out there
> Just info on a stray I came across last week:
> Longstanton (CAM) All Saints
> Banns
> 26 March 1944 Dennis CRADDOCK bac of Bury Lancs & otp
> & Peggy Joan TURNER sp of St Luke's Cambridge
> [from the CHFHS parish register fiche]
> Regards
> David Greenhalgh
> Subject: [LAN] Lambert
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 20:58:11 -0000
> From: "antony lambert" <>
> Looking for an address of William Lambert and his wife Margaret (probably) on the 1891 Census for Hurst which is now part of Ashton under Lyne, although I understand that it was not on the same Census as Ashton in those days.
> They would have had a son James who would have been three or four years old at that time.
> Thanks in advance
> Antony Lambert
> Subject: [LAN] CALLAND/WIGAN
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:51:16 -0000
> From: "R Howard MBE" <>
> My grandfather Edward Calland was born on 2nd Feb1870 in the registration district of Wigan. At the time of his birth his parents lived at 1, Smiths Yard, Great George St. Could any kind lister, living in Wigan, please tell me. 1. Is that address still there and 2. What church would be used for Christenings etc. in the area. 21 years later Edward married in the "Parish Church of the Parish of Wigan". It seems likely that the parish church is the venue for several family events and, if this is the case how should I, a novice genealogist living in Hampshire, go about getting such evidence in Wigan.
> Thank you in anticipation. Bob Howard. Hampshire.
> Subject: [LAN] TAYLOR/HOWARD
> Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:53:43 -0000
> From: "R Howard MBE" <>
> My interests lie in the Howard family of Rochdale but I was aware that my grandmother Sarah Ann Howard (nee Taylor) had two children, Edward Taylor and Mary Alice Taylor, when she met and married Joshua Howard in 1905. I had some knowledge that my father's half brother Edward was in the Army as a career soldier having joined "The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment" about 1920. After service in the Sino Japanese war in 1937, I have letters written by him at this time, he was in Singapore, accompanied by his wife Doris and two daughters (?? Rosemary and Irene). Doris and the girls escaped just before the fall of Singapore and returned to the Fulwood area of Preston, their last known address was 17, Wellmot Road, Preston, Lancs. Sergeant Edward Taylor 3849831 was taken prisoner with the 2nd Battalion on 15th February 1942 at the fall of Singapore. He was interred at Changi POW camp. In Aug 42 they went to Korea (Keijo) now Seol. In July 43 to Osaka, Japan, then to Kobe POW camp. I!
!
t !
> was here that he died on Monday 27th Dec 43 aged 40 and he is buried at Yokahama war cemetery. Sergeant Taylor's daughters would be between 62/65 now and it is possible that they may have gone to Australia with their mother, Doris, who may have re-married (hearsay). I wrote to Lancashire Evening Post at Fulwood but, alas, I didn't get a reply from them. I wondered if any lister living in the Preston area might be in a position to help me to complete this branch of my family tree, apart from gaining knowledge of cousins I never knew.
> Thank you in anticipation.
> Bob Howard. Hampshire.