LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2000-02 > 0949696686

From: David Baxendell <>
Subject: Re: [LAN] Proof needed on Marriage Certs.
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 09:38:06 +1300

Hazel,
If the marriage was in Manchester cathedral the odds are they lied about their ages.
The cathedral ran a what could only be described as a marriage supermarket -" I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss the bride, next couple please step forward!..."
It was cheaper than Parish churches, quick and not too many questions asked. Also, I believe, banns were called at the Cathedral, so interested parties, who might object, might not be aware as they would be attending their parish
church at the time.
Another possibility is that there are many errors in the Cathedral registers, as a result of the above system.
David Baxendell
Christchurch
New Zealand
looking for BAXENDELL,BAXENDALE etc. anywhere, anytime

Hazel Fleet-Barlow wrote:

> This may seem a stupid question but what documents did you need to provide to get married in Manchester 1871?
> Today I got the marriage cert. for my g grandfather and g gran, on it their ages are given as 20 and 19 in 1871, but ten years later in the 1881 census their ages are down as 27 and 25.

This thread: