LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2000-08 > 0966772625

From: "John and Glennys Gow" <>
Subject: [LAN] Scholes/Battersby/Rylance/Woolner
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:57:05 +1000

I am new to this list and would like to post my interests.

I am a descendant of MARTHA BATTERSBY [c. 1790 St Mary, Bury] who married
ROBERT SCHOLES at Saint Mary, Bury in 1810. Children of Robert Scholes and
Martha Battersby [all c. Saint Mary, Bury] were:

JOSEPH SCHOLES c. 1811 [my gg-grandfather]*
JACOB SCHOLES c. 1812
ROBERT SCHOLES c. 1815
MARY SCHOLES c 1817 (m. EDWARD BLACKBURN and migrated to Melbourne,
Australia in 1841)
ANN SCHOLES c. 1821 [and d. ?]
THOMAS SCHOLES c. 1824
ANN SCHOLES c. 1827

* JOSEPH SCHOLES m. SARAH RYLANCE (formerly of Dukinfield, Cheshire,
daughter of SCOFIELD RYLANCE) around 1833 (I can't locate marriage on IGI).
They migrated to Australia in 1841 with three of their sons and settled in
the New England district of New South Wales. Children born in England were:

ROBERT SCHOLES c. 1834 Saint Mary, Bury
JACOB SCHOLES c. 1836 [died prior to 1841]
JOHN WOOLNER SCHOLES c. 1838 Cathedral, Manchester (my g-grandfather)
JOSEPH SCHOLES c. 1840 Cathedral, Manchester

In correspondence back to England in 1841 and 1843, Joseph Scholes refers to
relatives in Manchester, Oldham, Heywood, Pendlebury, Bury, Hyde and
Ringley - "and elsewhere" (some of these would be relatives through
marriage). Joseph also refers to an "UNCLE WOOLNER" - presumably JOHN
WOOLNER who may have owned a cotton mill in Bury or Manchester.

If anyone has any connection with these families, I would very much like to
hear from you.

Regards,
Glennys
New South Wales, Australia