LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2001-02 > 0982110580

From: "Darrell Latimer" <>
Subject: Re: [LAN] Re: 1991CENSUS-Help!
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:29:40 -0800

Hello Elaine,

Why is 100 years the magical time to wait. Apart from the historical
interest as to how towns have grown and population patterns have changed
why is it so important to keep it all confidential.

Maybe the figure of 100 years just sounded like a nice figure to use at the
time. It probably is no different as to the figure set at the Environmental
Conference in Brazil a few years ago that set 12% as the goal to reach for
parkland. I believe that B.C. is the about the only place in the world that
has met that goal. That figure was put forward at the conference as just a
number to start with although no scientific number was ever determined.

Has anyone ever questioned the time period of 100 years. Is it possible
that before the year 2011 comes around that time period will be dropped to
75 or 80 years. Maybe than some of those people who were on the first
census will still be around to correct any errors from the first census.

Darrell