LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2001-06 > 0993259683

Subject: [LAN] census reporting question
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:28:03 EDT

Hello Listers,

I was wondering if anyone has run across the same situation with
census reporting as I have.

My gg-grandmother reported in the 1881 UK census that she was born in
Ashton-under-Lyne. In the 1900 USA census, she reported her birthplace as
Ireland in 1840! Her US death record lists Ireland as her birthplace, also.

Does anyone have a suggestion/explanation as to why there is a
conflict in the reporting of her birthplace? Was it common for people to
misreport such information? I've tried searching the FreeBMD for her birth
in England with no luck.

I'd appreciate hearing opinions on this situation.

TIA,
Regards,
Michele

This thread: