LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2001-07 > 0994600900

Subject: [LAN] warton
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 10:01:40 EDT

Hi listers

Pat wrote

>I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the NISSEN HUTS that
were >in HARBOUR or ARBOUR LANE, WARTON Nr. PRESTON back about 1948-9? if >
memory serves!!!!.

>I used to live in one with my parents and sister, they were transformed into
homes >for, I think some of the workers for Aircraft Manufacturing, do not
remember who the >company or companies were at the time.

>Would be interested if anyone has any more information on this.

?Kind regards

>Pat Starling.

Hi Pat
I have just been looking through a book I bought a few years ago its
called
WARTON & FRECKLETON RECALLED by Peter Benson published 1995 by Landy
publishing

There are plenty of photo's

it says this

After the end of war,the hangers at Warton were used as a training school to
help enlisted men learn skills that would help them in civilian life when
they returned to the USA The airfield was handed back to the RAF in november
1945 and it was used as a storage area
The english electric company becam interested in using the site and first
test flying at warton by the them in august 1947
By the early 50's most of the buildings had been taken over and renovation
statred

My WHITESIDE family lived on farms in the 19th cent where the USA air base
was in WW2

regards

Bob Whiteside
W.YORKSHIRE