LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2003-02 > 1046083360

Subject: Re: [LAN] What's a nursechild?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:42:32 Africa/Johannesburg

Hi there,

I live in South Africa and the term nurse child isn't so unfamiliar here. It is as far as
I know definetely a child that has been placed with someone for nursing. Like a wetnurse.
It's relatively normal in certain communities here, the baby might be with a relative or
good friends of the family, as the mother might be working elsewhere, so deceased, or not
capable of looking after the child herself. Also, it's quite normal to nurse children way
beyond two years.
I guess it was and here is also fairly common for people to have a lot of children, so
chances that a woman is nursing at any point in time were and are high.

Kind regards
Melanie