LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2004-12 > 1102429925

From: "Bernard Huntingdon" <>
Subject: RE: [LAN] Two causes of death or three?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:32:05 -0000

Hi Jojo,

I am not medically qualified, but spent a lot of time writing up thesis for
medical students and from those note (not to mention several medical
dictionaries) I gathered the following:-

Morbus = diseased
Cordus = any string like part of the body
Bronchitis = Inflammation of the Bronchial Tube
?nasarca = The only word that I found was Anasarca meaning Generalised,
massive, intractable oedema..

If was Anasarca then it could be a Dependant Oedema which is a build up of
fluid in the tissues causing swelling normally in the lower leg but in
someone bed-ridden the chest and lungs - and can be attributed to severe
asthma.

So a possible suggested meaning:- "Death caused by an oedema precipitated
by severe asthma as a result of diseased bronchial tubes"

Unless you get a more authoritive answer I hope this makes it a little
clearer.

Bernard.