LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2004-12 > 1103216456

From: "pne.anne" <>
Subject: Re: [LAN] CHARLES EDWARD VALENTINE McMAHON
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:00:56 -0000

Hello Pauline,

I think it is probably the right one. It looks like an army family and they
moved around a lot.

I was told my great grandma came from Ireland, but in fact, it was her
parents who were from Ireland. She was born in Garstang.

Most of my Census CDs are from S & N. My 1841 Census is from Stepping
Stones and one of my Staffordshire CDs is from Archive CD Books.

When I ordered the 1871 Census for Lancashire from S & N, I ordered a
surname index. This eventually came a few months after the CD. I was
disappointed to find that the places I was interested in e.g. Bolton,
Preston and Lancaster were not on on the Surname Index. It didn't say when
I ordered it that all the places in Lancashire were not on it.

Also, there are quite a few mistakes on the S & N CDs. Folio numbers are
missing in chunks. I wrote to them and they sent me an ammended disc with
the omissions on, but even now I am finding others missing.

The 1851 Census is not very consumer friendly. Bolton is on about 8 discs
and you have to keep chopping and changing the discs when you are going
through them.

We are off to the Lowry Theatre in Salford tonight to watch Round the Horne.
A cast of actors are reading the original scripts. They were on the Royal
Variety Show last night. It is more Tony's cup of tea than mine, but it
will be something different.

Kind regards,

Anne

P.S. When you have the time, will you attach a photo of you and Ron. We
have been corresponding for quite a long time and I would like to have a
photo of you.