LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2007-02 > 1170331936

From: "Martin Briscoe" <>
Subject: Re: [LAN] Gypsy encampments
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:12:16 -0000

I did come across a lot of family groups in Yorkshire villages in some
censuses where every member was "N.K." for name, age, occupation, place of
birth etc.

>From some who gave their place of birth they appeared to be Irish itinerant
workers (living in tents I seem to remember).

You could try searching for names like that as I suspect that some of the
Gypsies might be similarly suspicious of authority.

Martin Briscoe
Fort William
M&LFHS | Gwynedd FHS