LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2008-12 > 1230023407

From: sally roberts <>
Subject: Re: [LAN] Familial terminology: Grand Aunts etc
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:10:07 +0000
References: <E6C594B5664F419093B186723AC678BB@pc><494E8638.4080202@ntlworld.com><BLU0-SMTP47E94B04572543201BD1EF91EF0@phx.gbl><BAY103-W154E8B0311EE7EAB8BACDCCBEF0@phx.gbl><7853A8EC24ED48148B294B525546D60B@Chris><BAY103-W25BC2A54FE5F4EAF35AA2DCBEF0@phx.gbl><C7448244-40E3-488C-AA2D-6512C44C7E69@mac.com> <60bd368f0812221302p12535827xcef1f01f66119f5b@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <60bd368f0812221302p12535827xcef1f01f66119f5b@mail.gmail.com>

Hi David,

Grand Aunt/Uncle is the correct terminology for a sibling of the Grandparent, but the term Great Aunt/Uncle is far too entrenched to be changed anytime soon :O)

Regards,
Sally

----------------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:02:36 +0000
> From:
> Subject: Re: [LAN] Familial terminology: Grand Aunts etc
> Err!
> Where does that leave Grand Dam? or is it Damme?
> on a more serious note: Is there such a thing as a Great Aunt or Uncle?
> and What is the term for pertaining to a paternal aunt?
> Seasonal Greetings to everyone
> David
> Researching DONEGANI and ROWLEY
> 2008/12/22 Venita Roylance
>> Hi Sally,
>> We use "great" aunt here (USA), too, but I prefer "grand." I've
>> always been confused about how I could have a 'grand' mother/father
>> and 'great' aunts/uncles in the same generation. Since I started
>> using 'grand' for aunts and uncles then adding 'great' to 'grand' when
>> appropriate, I'm a less confused. Less confusion is always good! 8-)
>> Venita
>> On Dec 22, 2008, at 3:35 AM, sally roberts wrote:
>>> Hi Rhoda
>>>
>>> Yes, I'm in the UK and I know that we use Great here.
>>> It's only since I've been doing genealogy that I've come to realise
>>> the 'proper' title and I do try not to point it out to people when
>>> they say it, but sometimes the pedant in me rises to the fore :o)
>>> Regards,
>>> Sally
>>> ----------------------------------------
>>>> From:
>>>> To:
>>>> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:16:44 +0000
>>>> Subject: Re: [LAN] Familial terminology: Grand Aunts etc
>>>> Susan
>>>> Are you in the UK? I am, and I have never used, nor heard, the
>>>> expression
>>>> 'Grand' Aunt or 'Grand' Uncle. Rightly, or wrongly, 'Great' appears
>>>> to be
>>>> the common usage in the UK.
>>>> Rhoda
>>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>>> From: "sally roberts"
>>>> To: "englangeneral"
>>>> Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 8:40 AM
>>>> Subject: Re: [LAN] Familial terminology
>>>>> Hi Joan,
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you for the new word and whilst we're on the subject, I can
>>>>> mention
>>>>> something that never, ever used to bother me until I started this
>>>>> genealogy lark.
>>>>>
>>>>> We don't have Great Aunts or Great Uncles.
>>>>> My Great Auntie Doll (died at the fabulous age of 105) really
>>>>> should have
>>>>> been Grand Auntie Doll because she was my nan's sister. ie.
>>>>> Sibilings of
>>>>> Grandparents are Grand Aunts or Grand Uncles, siblings of Great
>>>>> Grandparents are Great Grand Aunts and Great Grand Uncles and so
>>>>> on back
>>>>> through the generations.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you for letting me get that off my chest, Joan :O)
>>>>>
>>>>> Merry Christmas to all listers everywhere!
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> Sally
>>>>> ----------------------------------------
>>>>>> From:
>>>>>> To:
>>>>>> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:09:41 -0500
>>>>>> Subject: [LAN] Familial terminology
>>>>>>
>>>>>> For years I've wondered what would be the appropriate word to
>>>>>> descibe
>>>>>> something "pertaining to an Aunt"-- as in paternal, maternal and
>>>>>> avuncular
>>>>>> etc.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Well, I finally found it on a word list today.
>>>>>> Materteral (or materterine) means pertaining to an aunt -
>>>>>> originally
>>>>>> latin
>>>>>> for a maternal aunt.
>>>>>> Forgive me Lynn. I was bored and it is related to genealogy-haha
>>>>>> Joan
>>>>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Responses to gatewayed posts must be made on the message board,
>>>>>> not the
>>>>>> list. Just click on the link provided to go to the message on the
>>>>>> board.
>>>>>> Your response will then also flow to the list.
>>>>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>>>> the
>>>>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>>>>
>>>>> Responses to gatewayed posts must be made on the message board,
>>>>> not the
>>>>> list. Just click on the link provided to go to the message on the
>>>>> board.
>>>>> Your response will then also flow to the list.
>>>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>>> the
>>>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>>>
>>>> Responses to gatewayed posts must be made on the message board, not
>>>> the list. Just click on the link provided to go to the message on
>>>> the board. Your response will then also flow to the list.
>>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>>> -------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
>>>> the body of the message
>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>>
>>> Responses to gatewayed posts must be made on the message board, not
>>> the list. Just click on the link provided to go to the message on
>>> the board. Your response will then also flow to the list.
>>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
>>> the body of the message
>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>> Responses to gatewayed posts must be made on the message board, not the
>> list. Just click on the link provided to go to the message on the board.
>> Your response will then also flow to the list.
>> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
> Responses to gatewayed posts must be made on the message board, not the list. Just click on the link provided to go to the message on the board. Your response will then also flow to the list.
> :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-: :-+-:
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message