LANCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > LANCSGEN > 2012-04 > 1335371497

From: Mike Gregory <>
Subject: Re: [LAN] Question on second baptism of illegitimate child
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:31:37 -0700

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I will add to my previous information. I was convinced that the baptism for Adam Gregory, base son of Alice Gregory, was "my" Alice, because there where no other Alice Gregorys in the area that I could find, and the name Adam was a family name. I only recently found the Garbutt family and determined that Alice Gregory was married to Edward Garbutt. I think it is more than coincidence that the age at death of Adam Garbutt, matches the baptismal date of Adam Gregory. I obtained the transcribed records from Lancs OPC, so I may need to look at originals for any notes that were mentioned. But both baptisms did occur in the same church. While I am confident I have the same Alice, I understand that I could be completely wrong. However, I think there is something unique about this situation. And I am left with three scenarios: 1. I am wrong, and these are two different Alice Gregorys, 2. Adam Gregory was the child of Edward Garbutt, and he received a second baptism in his name, or 3!
. Edward Garbutt, baptized a child that was not his, in his name. Obviously the first scenario is most likely, but I can't exclude the second either.

Mike in sunny California, U.S.

This thread: