LANDON-L Archives

Archiver > LANDON > 2006-10 > 1161140475

Subject: Re: [LANDON] David Landon of Brandon, VT
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:01:15 EDT

HI Mary Anne
In reading over your info I find that if David died 1837 at age 73 then
you would have been born 1764. Later you mention David Jr. perhaps being his
father and you have the date b. 1769. Can't be.
I have a David Landon b. 1763. No marriage or info on him except he was
the son of John Landon b. 1720 and Katherine White b. 1722. I have 10 children
for them. Maybe this is your David? I have 10 David's in my file. One is my g
grandfather.
Jan

Hello Listers,
I'm very excited about all the action on this list. I'm going to weigh in
on my problematic Landon - David Landon of Brandon, VT. He died there on 16
September 1837, aged 73. My issue is proving his parentage. I believe him
to be the son of John and Katherine (White) Landon of Salisbury, CT. He
first shows up in Brandon land records in a deed daated 17Dec1798. He is
recorded as being from Cornwall, Addison Co., VT and purchased land from
Elihu Griswold.
Going back to Cornwall records, "Polls and Rateable Estates" David Landons
are recorded for 1795, 1796, (all records for 1797 are missing), and 1798.
On 6May1796 David is appointed Hayward and on 30May1798 is appointed sexton.
No David is listed for 1799 to 1801, my David having moved to Brandon.
Another David appears in the Corwall list for 1802 to 1809. I believe this
to be David Landon, son of David Jr. and Chloe (Buell) Landon, b 6Apr1769 of
Litchfield, CT.
David Landon of Brandon married Polly Crooks, daughter of John and Lydia
(Holbrook) Crooks and second Rachel Barr widow of Alexander. The Landon
genealogy says that he married a Jemima Fitch and had a son Sylvester. I
can't find any proof of that.
I'll send other posts with additional data. Does anyone have any clues to
the parents of my David?
I've accummulated tons of Landon data from Vermont and Connecticut,
including an index to early Landon deeds in Salisbury, CT. I'd be happy to
share that data.
Mary Anne

This thread: